ADA 60F v2.0

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So 12 days on from the last set of pictures and I've just done a water change and had a good trim. I think from the pics you can see pretty good growth really all round. I had to trim the Valis down, just nipped off the longest leaves as they were halfway across the tank. The Cardamyne is coming through the surface now which is what I wanted! And the Hydrocotyle is sending out lots of runners - definitely one of my favourite plants now! Whats really interesting so far is that I havent added any ferts yet, not felt the need to but might start a squirt or two a week. The glass did get a decent coating of algae which has been annoying me but I think I'll just cut my light time down by an hour or so.

Shrimp seem to be doing great too, there are some great colours in there quite a few strong reds, one is red with a yellow saddle which I quite like, a lot of naturals and I have one yellow! Really like that guy too he is probably the most active but managed to get a few good pics.

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 10.33.39.png

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 10.33.53.png

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 10.34.13.png

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 10.34.07.png

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 10.34.25.png

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 10.33.46.png

Still no fish in here yet, still really undecided on what I want to add need some inspiration! Emerald Rasboras are probably top of the list but it feels too obvious and I kind of want a fish with a bit of personality...

Gah! I love that you're loving the shrimp! Knew you would :D That yellow is really cool! It's great that they've settled in so well, and are munching through that biofilm. They really do poop a lot. When I added some neos to my cory egg container I realised just how much they poop, since it was contained and I could see it. But their bioload is negligible, so I don't think it's anything to worry about. I hated how much nerite snails poop though, plus the eggs one of mine laid. Gotta admit, wasn't too sad when that one passed away...

Glad to see the plants are thriving so well! It's pretty awesome to have a sink right next to the tank! Handy.

Gah! I love that you're loving the shrimp! Knew you would :D That yellow is really cool! It's great that they've settled in so well, and are munching through that biofilm. They really do poop a lot. When I added some neos to my cory egg container I realised just how much they poop, since it was contained and I could see it. But their bioload is negligible, so I don't think it's anything to worry about. I hated how much nerite snails poop though, plus the eggs one of mine laid. Gotta admit, wasn't too sad when that one passed away...

Glad to see the plants are thriving so well! It's pretty awesome to have a sink right next to the tank! Handy.
Thanks :) I am still manually removing the biofilm but but the shrimp are going at it as well.

Annoyingly, I've got pest snails in this tank I think they were in the water with the shrimp I got so just pulling them out as I see them, I used to keep nerites in my cichlid tanks but never again lol the white dots everywhere after a few years is too much. Would love to find a slow breeding, algae eating snail one day...

I've been sat next to the tank today after the clean and really itching to get some fish in now but really cant decide...

Wills

You know you're gonna have to go to the store and decide on impulse... ;)
Are they open today? :angel:

You know you're gonna have to go to the store and decide on impulse... ;)
Are they open today? :angel:
Yes but... I think I need a trip somewhere special to get something that scratches that itch.

Wills

Yes but... I think I need a trip somewhere special to get something that scratches that itch.

Wills
You have one of the best stores in the UK near you, don't you? Maybe a nice Sunday afternoon drive over there... :whistle:

Maybe see if they have any pseudomugli's...

About an hour and a half away... so need to clear it with the authorities before I go. I was meant to be going on Friday as I was hoping to move and start the rescape of my 100 litre but might not be able to do that now due to work.

About an hour and a half away... so need to clear it with the authorities before I go. I was meant to be going on Friday as I was hoping to move and start the rescape of my 100 litre but might not be able to do that now due to work.
Is the authority your wife? lol

Yeah :) if I can't do my tank Friday I should, in theory, still be ok to do something fish related on the Saturday. I think my scape the other tank needs to push back an other month but we can see...
I'm shopping for another tank now, to replace the 34g you helped me scape! Looking like I might be replacing it with a roma 240, fingers crossed!

I'm shopping for another tank now, to replace the 34g you helped me scape! Looking like I might be replacing it with a roma 240, fingers crossed!
Well... that is the trade off for the work thats going to replace my pre-planned weekend, I'm going to have a pretty busy month or two that could mean a reward at the end...

Just going back to where you mentioned Pseudomugli's - do you think these would be ok? Wharf have got some of the ones that like in fresh, brackish and marine waters so great for hardwater. But do you think this group generally or is it a mix?

Wills

Well... that is the trade off for the work thats going to replace my pre-planned weekend, I'm going to have a pretty busy month or two that could mean a reward at the end...

Just going back to where you mentioned Pseudomugli's - do you think these would be ok? Wharf have got some of the ones that like in fresh, brackish and marine waters so great for hardwater. But do you think this group generally or is it a mix?

Wills
I honestly don't know, I'm sorry! Do you know which species they have? Just a thought about checking out the psuedos as a possibility, given tank size/style, that many are good in harder water, and you want some more activity in there. Could also consider sparkling gourami perhaps? They can tolerate hardness up to 215ppm. They can get rough on each other though when breeding. My friend who bred them really successfully had to separate the more submissive female in the end, plus some young got beaten up. But that would certainly be activity!

The emerald rasbora are super appealing though! I'd like a school of those one day. Gorgeous little fish.

After this weeks water change :) Really loving this tank.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 16.51.27.png

Few small issues, when I got the shrimp in I emptied the bag into the tank and it seems I've got some hitch hikers. This snail is massive and I have duck weed - mixed emotions about Duckweed, never had it before but dont dislike it... I know its basically in there whether I want it or not, but it compliments the red root floaters quite well.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 16.51.32.png

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 16.51.38.png

Shrimp are doing really well though :)

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 16.51.45.png

Wills :)

Don't think anyones following this anymore but heres tonights update.

Screenshot 2022-08-21 at 20.27.50.png

Thought this chap was looking good tonight

Screenshot 2022-08-21 at 20.26.25.png

Think I've decided to not put a schooling fish in here as it is quite hard to do the maintenance on it with it being shallow so thinking more towards the male endler side of things now as I think they will just hide in the plants rather than school and swarm around. Not given up on finding a Badis from a hardwater region of Asia, it really feels like it exists I just need a bit of evidence :)

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back