activated carbon and bio-wheel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jht

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
in my tropical tank i have a pump which sucks water up into the lid in there is some foam pads activated carbon and a bio wheel how does the bio-wheel and activated carbon, filter? :p

Wagering a guess here if its a filter for a 10 gal tank the charcoal you refer to is in one of those disposable refills that has a floss type substance on the outside. If that is the case then the filter floss stuff removes floating debir from the water and then charcoal cleans and the bio wheel allows you good bacteria to grow in a wet place

HTH

Les

no its tank from sicce www.sicce.com wat happens is the a pump in a box sucks water into the lid in there is a sponge further down is a another sponge then further down is a green meshed bag full of activated carbon and then there is a bio-wheel

OK, Ifailed to see it had sponges.......lol :D :D I have a pretty good idea what it looks like now. The sponges are what is removing the big stuff from the water. Then the charcoal bag removes things that cant be seen. As long as the sponges are in there you will get biological filtration and that is what you want to keep levels of ammonia and nitrites down. As far as using charcoal, its what ever a person decides. Personally I dont use it, I get the same if not better results using a polyester fil in their place. I havent used charcoal since I set up my 55 and there have been no problems.

What I suggest is that after the tank is finished it cycle if its not already, that you pull only one of the sponges per week and clean it in some old tank water when you do a change. That will help clean it and not remove too many of the bacteria colonies that are there

Les

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back