Acrylic tank and ancistrus?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zante

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm planning a largeish tank, and I would like it to be acrylic.
The price is not really relevant, I've had glass and acrylic quoted and they're close enough at this size to make no real difference.
I'd rather avoid glass because it's going to be easier to manoeuvre a 70Kg tank than a 200Kg tank, and it would disperse less heat, but mainly because of kids. I'd rather have a panel scratched by a carelessly thrown toy than a panel smashed by a carelessly thrown toy.

I am going to host some ancistrus plecs though, L183 to be precise, or at least that's the plan.
I'd like to know if the acylic is safe of whether I should reconsider the ancistrus.

People who have actually had ancistrus in acrylic tanks would be most welcome of course to relate their experience.

Acrylic/ Perspex aquariums are fine and safe for suckermouth catfish, algae eaters and all other fish.

The big issue with Perspex is it can scratch when cleaning so be careful and use a sponge and make sure it doesn't have any gravel or sand on the sponge.

Perspex tanks can actually crack if hit hard enough so even tho it is safer than glass, you still get a wet floor if it cracks :)

Acrylic/ Perspex aquariums are fine and safe for suckermouth catfish, algae eaters and all other fish.

Thank you :)

The big issue with Perspex is it can scratch when cleaning so be careful and use a sponge and make sure it doesn't have any gravel or sand on the sponge.

Don't worry I'm also planning an acrylic reef, and that will need some care when cleaning!
This discus tank will be a cakewalk in comparison! :D

Perspex tanks can actually crack if hit hard enough so even tho it is safer than glass, you still get a wet floor if it cracks :)

Agreed, but still, you need to hit it hard enough, and a 220x60cm panel will have to have quite a bit of thickness plus bracing, so I'd say it will be quite resistant.
Of course, fingers crossed it'll never be needed :(

Perspex reef tanks are a problem due to coralline algae growing on the sides. On glass you can scrape the coralline algae off without any issues but it's a lot harder to get it off Perspex. This won't be an issue for the back or sides but the front will be a problem.

Perhaps try a small marine tank first and see how the coralline algae goes and if you can deal with it, then do the big tank :)

I really can't justify a small acrylic tank as an experiment. I already have nine aquariums in the house, four of which are set up. I do have a small acrylic one, but it's full of freshwater shrimps at the moment.

I have had a largeish reef before (550 litres) plus a couple of smaller ones (90 and 19), and have a small SW shrimp tank set up now (54litres) so I know how to deal with coralline and I do have a feel for how it grows, but that was on glass. I'm not sure how that would work on acrylic.
Coralline and sand being blown around are my main concerns for a reef.

I really can't justify a small acrylic tank as an experiment. I already have nine aquariums in the house, four of which are set up...
LOL you have a medical condition called MTS (multiple tank syndrome).
It is common in some people and tends to get worse as time goes by. There is no cure altho some people have found piece after building a fish room and putting 200 tanks in it :)

There is a counselling group in the forum for others with your condition :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back