Acrylic Painted Backgrounds

boston71

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the acrylic paint without scratching all the glass up? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Maybe with an acrylic solvent. But scraping will take an enormous amount of effort and just generally make you very cranky.
Afterthought: maybe solvent wouldn't be such a good idea. You might get some inside that wouldn't rinse out and it may also attack the silicone sealer in the joints.

Last edited:
Maybe with an acrylic solvent. But scraping will take an enormous amount of effort and just generally make you very cranky.
Afterthought: maybe solvent wouldn't be such a good idea. You might get some inside that wouldn't rinse out and it may also attack the silicone sealer in the joints.
Might not be worth the trouble, maybe more background decorations...Thank you

Iā€™ve used goo be gone to remove paint from a window in a house as a last ditch effort in the past and it basically just wiped off the glass with a paper towel after I let it sit for a few hours. I donā€™t know what kind of paint it was on the window, the paint was on the window when we bought the house. There may also be some other products out there that would have the same effect on acrylic based paint like acetone.

I would be concerned with using these chemicals in the tank though if you canā€™t thoroughly rinse out the tank/remove all the chemicals like Back in the Fold has stated. Also I know for a fact goo be gone will break down silicone as Iā€™ve also used it to remove silicone from my shower sides and rim when I removed nasty shower doors from our house guest bath.

There are inside tank backgrounds you can look into like the rock wall looking resin ones if you really dislike the paint and want to cover it up.

Yes I was looking at those, that would do it, it was $149.00, Petco has a new 75 for$100.00...might get that and work on the old one..Thanks for the info...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back