Accidents, Mistakes, Close Calls and Tragedies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

CathyG

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Come on, we have all been there! ā€“ Share your experiences!

We were all new to fish-keeping once, and unless we are arrogant (or ancient in the trade) we can all still learn something daily! For many people on this board, we did not have the luxury of the internet as a resource when we started out. We often relied on old smelly library books, or poor and uneducated advice from our LFS regarding stocking levels, and compatibility...and that was if we had the half ounce of knowledge to wonder that it mattered! We were often advised to do little more than treat water for chlorine and heat it, throw the fish in, and then a bit of flake. Some have learned by their experiences over the years, many gave up, and continue to do so, because tragedy hits and there is a lack of reading material/advice, and sometimes a will to learn and grow. Some later return, because the passion is still there ā€“ but, now, so are the resources!

Many get into the hobby independently (or even accidentally!) but then find themselves in a situation needing guidance, so *then* they do their researchā€¦Whatever brought you to the hobby, caused you to leave, brought you back, caused you to seek advice etc etc, there are often common denominators ā€“ hence such supportive communities as this one! If we all popped fish into a tank, and they loved each other, bred if we wanted them to, and cleaned up after themselves ā€“ none of us would be here except to post pretty photos and sell fry! ;)

Accidents are just that, they do not always involve a lack of knowledge! We have all encountered, to some degree, a failed filter or heater at some point. Troubled over rising PH levels (or falling PH levels) coped with a cracked or leaking tank, introduced a fish without the luxury of quarantine (and hoped). Encountered a sudden Ammonia spike from a previously stable tank. Did we forget to turn the heater back on after a water change? Forget to treat the water for chemicals? Overfeed, or underfeed? Or even feed the wrong food types for our fantastically varied communities?

Mistakes? Well we are human. Did we not research the adult size of our new baby? Aggression levels? Compatibility? Environmental and social requirements?

Close calls ā€“ did you realise an error or accident in time and save your tank? As a more experienced fish-keeper, do you ever look back on an incident or a period of time whilst you were still learning (or since!!) and wonder how you got away with it?

Tragediesā€¦speaks for itself. We have all lost fish, usually from one of the above causing stress or disease, sometimes for no apparent reason (mystery fish death). I donā€™t particularly like that phrase (mysterious fish death) but how many have lost a fish, and been unable to account for the reason? I am now talking of established fish in an established tankā€¦no new additions, no obvious signs of disease, old age not being consideredā€¦hardware and general tank maintenance meeting demandsā€¦

My main reason for starting this thread, was not to invite people to say ā€œI have a current case of Ich, what do I do?ā€ There is much to be read on the forums about Ich (et al). What I was aiming for is a sharing of experiences, one that might prove a useful learning tool for all levels of fish-keeping, as well as reassuring those new to the hobby that we are all, indeed, mortal! ;)

I do not consider myself, in any way, above learning. We kept tropical fish at home when I was a kid, I started keeping tropicals myself some 16 years ago. I gave up because of personal circumstances at the timeā€¦but do look back and wonder how I got away with a lot of what I did, considering what I have learned since is ā€œbasic knowledgeā€ on re-entering the trade. Eight years ago, my kids won a couple of goldfish from a fair *rolleyes* Well we moved from a bowl, to a tank, to a larger tank etcā€¦I never anticipated how much hard work cold water fish could be! (another story to be posted later) Eventually, I decided to move back into tropical fish-keeping, and what a joy!

This post turned out waayyy longer than I intended, so I should sign off for now! But you get the idea? :unsure: Please tell us your stories! Oh! And ā€“ please!! ā€“ constructive advice/criticism/comments only. I did not intend this as a place to rip into peoplesā€™ techniques/confidences ā€“ just somewhere to acknowledge we have been there!

Thanks for your patience if you got this far! :D

I had a close call the other week, I was rearanging my tank, so vertually removed everything, anyway the last thing to come out was my cave where my Bristlenose and my Clowns spend a lot of time, I carefully removed it gave it a little shake looked inside all looked well no fish, or so I thought, about 15 mins later picked up the cave and there on the floor...... :crazy: my Plec. I thought the worse, scooped him up and put him back in the tank but thankfully he's OK... :*)

Close Call

Fat Boy!! Oh my!! :D I am glad to hear he is ok! My most recent close call was when I was vacuuming my sand. My fish are notoriously nosey! I noticed a Danio shimmer beneath the hose, so I wafted the hose to chase it away...in wafting the hose I sucked up an innocent cruising Rasbora!! I was mortified!! I immediately lifted the syphon from the tank, keeping my thumb over the end of the pipe. I knew that as soon as I would take my thumb off the pipe, the sudden syphon *may* rush the Rasbora out...but I was equally concerned - what if it didn't? and I envisioned cutting up my syphon to rescue a Rasbora stuck to the inside? :D

I decided to take the risk and let the syphon go, then immediately ran outside. After a few seconds, I found my Rasbora inert on the patio. I lifted him, and immediately he started to buck. A couple of weeks after being gently (and guiltily) placed back in the tank, he is doing fine!

I've syphoned my GSP before :*) When he came out the tube he coughed up his bellyfull of cockle and then proceeded to dig in to the 'new' feast in front of him :sick:

Oh God do I have stories. My family has always had tanks, but I didn't seriously get into the hobby until I became interested in bettas a couple of years ago. When I was young (around 9,) my mother had a 10 gallon goldfish aquarium. That aquarium got water changes about once a year. Not only did we change the water, though... we put all the fish in a separate bucket, got rid of all the old water, cleaned the gravel thoroughly, cleaned out the filter and changed the media... meaning the tank got cycled every year. I have no idea how those fish lived. Also, I can remember more than one occasion where my mom syphoned a kuhli loach or two out the window and we had to go find it in the grass.
This is why mom was horrified when I started getting more tanks later on... she didn't know that keeping them clean wasn't actually such an ordeal! She thought I'd have to empty my 29 gallon, carry it over to the sink, and rinse it out! :lol:

I've had fish almost my entire life, or at least as far back as I remember, and it was only on this site that I ever heard the word 'cycle'. And then hearing from people that what I was doing was 'cycling with fish'. Oops.

Hmmm... accidents? Once had a coldwater tank with minnies, sunfish and a baby snapper. Didn't have a cover for the intake valve, figured the fish would swim away from the suction until we got one. Not so much luck, every now and again we'd hear this weird grinding noise in the filter (tank was out on the porch) and we didn't figure out what it was till we saw a minnie get sucked up with our own eyes. We thought the snapper had been eating them! Then the snapper got sucked up, there was a sight, his shell clogging the filter, and him looking around like he was going to kill whatever had a hold on him.

Put three comet goldfish in small pond with some anacharis (sp) we got from the river. Plants rooted well, created an awesome forest. As luck would have it, the goldfish laid eggs. Lots of eggs. Then the pond started to dry up, and I had to catch them all. Three goldfish that had doubled in size, about a million one inch babies and my two fancies all in the thirty gallon till we could do something about them. Then we start noticing that some of the baby goldfish have whiskers. Oops, there must have been carp eggs on those plants we got from the river! Thankfully my brother had a huge pond to put everyone in, except the fancies, who went in his 55.

Another newbie thing. Never even thought to quarantine fish before this site.

hmmm mistakes, how about transporting 5 pentezona barbs, missing your exit doubling the length of the trip, thinking "o god these fish are going to die if they stay in this little bit of water any longer" so when I got home just dumped them into the new aquarium, no acclimation, nothing. (all of this after they were bought from a fish shop, kept in my parents tank for 2 days, then shipped again to my place) needless to say they all caught ick within a week REALLY BAD ICK, then fungal infection (white nasty stuff coming off of them all over) and ultimetly the demise of all 5 within 2 hours of each other. I felt so bad, they were such perfect pretty fish when I bought them, then I stressed and ultimatly killed them, I felt horrible, being so rare (only 5 of 12 in the area that I or my (used to be) LFS knew of so down to 7 and didn't want to kill off those 7) so I tried my luck with gold barbs that were from a store much closer to home, and they've been doing great, one day I will get some more pentezonas just not at the moment.

Once I was moving a fish, I netted him and dropped him into a jar, only I didn't realize that he didn't fall into the jar, he fell into the table. He was lying there for a minute or so, I guess, before I managed to put him back.

I also killed a tankful of fish by introducing new fish which I didn't quarantine.

Hmm, I made a bunch of other mistakes, but these two are the most concrete, I suppose.

Transferring a bunch of platy fry into a 6gal tank....using a cup, tipped into the tank (all in one with hinged lid)....proceeded to count platies...only 4/5 seen.....figured the smallest one was hiding....wasn't too concerned....went and did other stuff.....30 MINUTES later....came back....still no sign of missing fry......looked under the lid, the hinge......figured he was hiding.....came back 15 MINUTES later.....opened ip the lid....wedged under the lid there is a slight aberration where the lid doesn't quite shut tight....there it was.....lying there....NO WATER.....me panicking thinking he is dead....

Put him in tank....he floats in the current....I retrieve net and curse myself....the other fry nduge him and off he swims....

That was a while ago now and he is fine!!!

pHEW though.....

middle of the night, everyone was sleeping, about 1 or 2 am i heard a god awful crash. i jumped up thinking my 150 lb dog had done something and tripped over him sleeping on the floor by my bed. run out to the loft now thinking one of my kids is hurt and look downstairs into the greatroom. about half the front glass of my 56 column tank had blown across the room. woke up hubby and my 11 year old and we ran around picking up fish. ended up with about 25 fish split between a 10 gal and a 2.5 bowfront, not counting their normal inhabitants. defective glass compliments of perfecto. replace it that afternoon with an identical tank. my hubby went off to isreal with his father for vacation. found the missing neons when he got there and took his camcorder out of the case :sick: thank goodness i bought a 55 to get even with him going on vacation without him cause i woke up a few days later to the new 56 leakingn water all over the already ruined carpet of the dining room. it was about half empty when i got my syphon out and finished emptying it, but the fish were more comfortable this time in the new 55 than they had been the first time.

i just set up tank #16

Worst that has happened to me was a filter failed on what just happened to be the hottest day of the year and while i was away on holiday. I always double up on filters but this one was the one that provided the surface movement to keep the tank oxygenated and around 2/3 of the fish in the tank suffocated, including 5 bala sharks of between 10 and 12 inches and several rare catfish.

Ive also had several tragedies where fish have escaped from seemingly well sealed tanks only to be found up dried out on the floor in the morning :( And of course we made all the same newbie errors as everyone else with adding too many fish too soon and not knowing about cycling etc.

well a funny mishap happened to me yesterday,i had the cover glass off the tank for some reason and my dad came up and wriggled his fingers over the tank like food. i yelled out that my betta would jump, but he thought i was joking and kept doing it. well the betta did jump but luckily i was there to put it back in the tank quickly. she is ok now.

When moving two scissortails from one tank to another one decided to take a leap of faith, wrong time!

Rather than fall to the floor he landed in half a pint of cider left over from the night before :rofl:

The hardest thing was then trying to get him out, so he did swim in the stuff, lucky for some, think he enjoyed it!

Suprsingly he is now fine except for a slight loss of colour at the time, cant imagine why.

we just had some new fry so i caught them and put them in the fry net with a few others who were a bit older and one who was about a month old.....the net got very dirty so i decided to clean it. After i had cleaned it i put it back in the tank but forgot to tye it on properly..came down next morning the net had fallen slightly and my betta had jumped in ate the black molly fry and i thought he had ate all my white molly fry..until i saw them swimming around and somehow they all the survived......but the tragedy...the one month old couldnt escape and the betta attacked him...in the end his tail fell off..but would you believe he's still alive today....and swimming around all healed except he's slightly sorter than the rest!

i had the fright of my life the other day when my betta jumped out and landed on our cover glass....it jumped straight back thou...but by gosh i almost had a heart attack! :)

Most reactions

trending

Back