Accidently Overdosed Ph Up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pbase5583

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i accidently did 100 gallons worth for 65. i was used to teaspoon for 10 gallons then i think oh wait its 25 gallons, the ph is at 7.6 which 2 days ago was 6.0 just wondering any bad effects, i have to put it in 2x day for 1 week, should i skip tomorrow morning

I think it would be safe to assume that you should skip one morning. Considering the amount that you overdosed, it could harm your fish if you just kept adding more. I would even just skip one entire day if I were you. Just do what you think is best, and keep an eye on their PH. If it begins to get too low again, just add some. Otherwise skip. You overdosed quite alot over.

yea i know just accidently not like oh, maybe if they get more it will happen faster. i will skip the morning then test it, i also some type of rock that has calcium in it to help raise pH but i think it will just counteract the mopani wood

I shudder to stick my nose here. As most don't get my thought process
PH up should be common baking soda salt combo IMO.
Never ever an off the shelf product unless you are experienced and can read the ingredients.
And then you likely would not buy it.
never ever do more than a extremely small change in ph per day.
You will likely be fine but it COULD cause chaos for one or more fish.
No matter how cheep and small I'd like to see great care for all.

When messing with ph take a bucket and test the results b4 you mess with your tank.
It is one of the most seriously reacted to by your fish parameters short of a high ammonia , nitrite reading.

Why exactly did you end at 6.0? or is your water starting there?

How would we be able to make sure you don't see this again?
these are the questions we need to address here.
can you detail history? maybe use this form omitting the non useful info.

Modifying up is what i do with my Africans..

it was high(pH) and then it went through a mini ammonia spike, now it is going down(about 1ppm) aquarium store recommended pH up and i have been. and not beding rude, why are you asking questions? I am the one who if trying to figure out if i should skip a dosage or not

What type of fish do you have in your tank?
Most of the time you shouldn't fiddle with PH anyway. Why do you feel the need to change it?
Almost every chemical that a fish store sells you is useless or harmful. You shouldn't need to add anything other than dechlorinator to you tank unless you are treating for illness.
A rapid change in hardness, PH or temperature is very hard on fish. Most fish can adapt to different water conditions than is recommended or that they are used to but the changes must be gradual. That is why we drip acclimate fish when we bring them home.

again if i must say, the guy at the aquarium store RECOMMENDED IT. i was doing my liquid test kit wrong. i didnt shake it enough, but then my ammonia went down enough to where he said to raise my pH,

again if i must say, the guy at the aquarium store RECOMMENDED IT. i was doing my liquid test kit wrong. i didnt shake it enough, but then my ammonia went down enough to where he said to raise my pH,
The guy at the aquarium store is IGNORANT. You can't believe everything that the fish store tells you. They are there to make money and the more junk they sell you the more money they make. Do a quick search of how much bad advice LFS give out on a regular basis. Just because they sell fish doesn't mean they know much about how to keep them long term.

sorry this picture makes the tnak look small but is 100% 65 gallon
http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t367/panosNoFlex/?action=view&current=35739ff3.jpg
dimensions 3' x 18" x 2' (depth)

I think you need to answer some of the questions asked if you need some help! The people on here can be so helpful and supportive but they need information. Do not take it personally - I think the people here are tryiing to save you time, money and stress if you do not need to use PH up .
Sorry I cannot help though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back