Accidental Head Wound On Catfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

QuotheRaven

Something smells humany
Reaction score
Hidi HO

I had to do a water change on my 75 gallon as I hadn't been able to for 2-3 weeks due to exams and tests I tested my water and had ammonia however this test is from December of last year. The tank is fully cycled etc had no issues except for accidentally inbred Kribensis dying off gradually over time... Anyways I got my algae scrubber as my Bristlenose is doing a bad job and my Rendahls catfish panicked and shot away and took a piece of flesh from his head which is hanging on by some skin...it is just above his eye... Now this catfish is beloved and for some reassurance and information whats the best thing to do...I have a rough idea but a second opinion will help ( Photo's taken provide little help as the flesh is pretty much flush with the head so you can hardly see the wound unless it lifts up)

Add some melafix.
Good luck.

Today the wound looks good no fluffy parts on it or inflamation and the fish is acting great and eating fine :) If I can get some Melafix soon I will get it

Ok good news just wanted you to add the melafix t stop the wound getting infected.

The catfish wasn't looking great last night but thats because I really have no idea it's "natural" behaviour as it isn't a commonly kept or researched aquarium fish. he seems ok and my second Rendahls has been protecting him by headbutting other fish ( mainly my Synodontis Eupterus) away from it... he seems ok and he has gone through alot ( Anostomus Anostomus Attacks, Eupterus attacks, power outages, disease outbreaks) and he seems ok today... If all goes well I shouldn't post here again and the wound looks fine

Ok , if the wound is healing fine.
If not go in with a bacterial med, good luck.

A question as this probably isn't worth starting a new thread... I tested my water with a ammonia test kit I have owned since december 25th 2006...It read 1.0-3.0 ammonia in my 75 gallon and 0 ppm in my catfish tank HOWEVER my 75 gallon has many Kribensis and cichlids which have their colours up and no issues except a Kribensis who has either cancer near it's eye or pop eye in one eye ( they are accidently inbred and some are over 1 year old and 1 inch long max)... could it be there is something in my 75 gallon tank water that is getting wrong readings Or the test is faulty OR there is that ammonia and the fish just are handling it...hmm

Check your tap water for ammonia. first.
How often do you maintain the tank.

I usually do a water change every two weeks however it went to 3-4 weeks due to bad health combined with exam preperation... I have lost a TINY yoyo loach today but it may of been killed by my many Kribensis I don't want...

I am selling 5 of my fish tommorow ( Festivum, Red Horseface, Firemouth, Syno Eup and a Pim Pictus) as the tank is also going to get overstocked at fully grown or is already...and so you know all five of those purchases were semi-beginner spur of the moment buys...

Need to do a gravel vac then waste can soon build up.
Remove ornaments and vac underneath them.
Good luck.

I did that with the 45% water change and I haven't seen the water so clean....I will test my water today again and see....My Kribensis have got real nice full colours today I wouldn't think they would with 1.0ppm of ammonia

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back