Acceptable betta tankmates

I currently have 17 females in my 20g. It is heavily planted with 4 caves and a larger piece that acts as a "cave". I am going to thin the numbers a bit on payday. I am going to keep 11 in there, and I am going to put the other 6 in either a 10G or a 20G. If I go with the 20G I would probably buy more. Right now the girls are small and there is no real agression at all. But they will grow and I think they need more space.

I agree that males can be kept with frogs. Black Beauty is in a 5G with 2 ADF's, Fred and Ginger. Fred sings for Ginger every night. They get along beautifully. I often find BB sleeping with the frogs.

I also thought that apple snails were also called mystery snails, but I have been known to be wrong.

I agree with the rest of the article. It was very well written, with good information.

This is all really great info. My crowntail is in a 5 gallon and I was thinking of getting him some buddies, so I think I'll get two ADFs for him!

I had two female bettas alone in a tank together before i completed the community and they got along very well. They picked on each other for the first two days or so and then they were friends lol. Now that there are other fish in the tank they seem to pair up together.

Hi All,

I really want a betta fish! they are so cool!

I would also like some ghost catfish. I did ctrl + f to do a search on here but couldn't find anything mentioned if these 2 fish would go well together or not?

Im completely new and currently doing a fish cycle with some hardy fish. All advice welcome. thanks :)

My betta is fine with black tetras and a tiny common catfish (sorry, I forgot the species name).

I think it depends on the Betta tbh but I wouldn't put them with other long finned fish or brightly coloured.

I have no idea what I'm saying, I'm no expert I warn, but I heard that glofish could live with bettas... But then something said that an other fish with bright colors shouldn't be in the tank with them... :/ And can gloish ACCIDENTLY breed? Like if I have a male and female in a group, will they mate without me WANTING them to?

whould a guppy be ok to go in with an extremly stupid betta?(stupid in a good way like whouldent harm a fly)
I've had three very brightly coloured male guppies in with my male and female betta for a while now in a 3 ft tank, they all seem pretty happy, the male betta ambushes the female on occasion and chases her, but then she does the same to him. they dont nip or actually bite each other and they totally ignore the guppies.

Previous to the new 29 gal tank that I have, I had a 10 gallon planted experiment... Wouldn't really call in an aquarium as the attempt at a planted aquarium failed terribly. The only think that survived was my java moss and within 3 months it had taken over the entire tank. Little off topic, but now to my point, in this tank I had a male betta, a small school of neon tetras, a yoyo loach, a freshwater shrimp, a couple long finned danios and a small clown pleco. Although perhaps a bit overstocked, this tank did fine, and there was minimal aggression out of it's inhabitants.

I am going to set up a Baby BiOrb for my partner, was planning on keeping a male Betta, what do you think would be good Tank mates?

Could i do a Betta, Dwarf Frog, Apple Snails and Cherry Shrimp? I think the small bowl will be to small for other fish, it has a heater and filter :)

I am going to set up a Baby BiOrb for my partner, was planning on keeping a male Betta, what do you think would be good Tank mates?

Could i do a Betta, Dwarf Frog, Apple Snails and Cherry Shrimp? I think the small bowl will be to small for other fish, it has a heater and filter :)
Shrimp would be the best option IMO. Its a bit small or an other fish IMO. Bettas need slightly higher temps than most tropical about 27-28C would be best.

Apple snails are an iffy choice, because they are SO messy and get quite big. (talk to bettamomma) but I have not heard of anyone having issues with mystery and ramshorn snails.

I thought mystery snails WERE apple snails...

Actually there is a huge difference.
Well slightly.
Both are in the same family, but their genus (I think) are different.
I've heard of apple snails growing baseball sized.
I've only heard of mystery snails growing to golfball size. Then again, different species of them will grow differently.

Hi, ok so I recently bought a Betta fish. I wanted to know if he could have a Cherry Barb tankmate.
Btw thanks so much for the post, it helped a lot
wink.png

Most reactions

trending

Back