Abnormal Julii Cory Behavior!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lilhurleybunny

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Swimmin around in the Chesapeake Bay ;) in Marylan
Hi friends!

Well I have two Julii Corys. Usually, since they are very skiddish, they stay in the back until night time and then they party it up and swim around eating everything on the bottom. However, about three days ago I noticed one of them up and swimming around the top and putting his face against the glass like my guppy does :look: . He was doing this during the day too and I thought it was weird but dismissed it as just something he was doing for the day. Well, he hasnt stopped! He's still up and around the top only occassionally going to the bottom.

My first thought was the heat. Its crazy hot where I am, making it about 31 degrees C in the tank (81 degrees F). I forgot what temp. cories prefer and so I figured maybe this little guy is just up and about looking for somewhere cool :/ . Could this be why?

My second thought was after I noticed he was missing a bristle! :no: I dont really know how it happened I just say it yesterday. So I figured maybe its just sensitive from where it came off and he doesnt like the gravel touching it, which I didn't think was a big deal since I'm getting sand soon. Could this be it? Also could a missing bristle be a huge problem for him?

Is this behavior normal at all? Help!

Thanks!
^_^

The temperature is on the warm side for most cories but not a dangerous high so it's possible but not likely it's the heat. More likely it's the gravel that caused the loss of the barbel and may be infected and stressing the fish. Treat it with an antibiotic and I would suggest getting them more friends. 3 is a minimum, 5 or more is ideal.

Sometimes they also will clean glass when they're about to lay eggs but if they're both male, he might just be looking for food to scrounge off the glass. They don't eat algae in any amount but they do "clean" glass I've discovered when they're hungry.

Cories are usually out looking around day and night for food so them hiding in the back is a sign they feel insecure or scared. They need plenty of hiding places and definitely the sand to dig in. The more of them there are, the more safe and active they get.

Mmm! Yes I'm thinking about getting more fish anyway, so a new friend for them is definetly in store.

About the antibiotic, would I be able to give it to him without putting him in a quarinteen (sp?) tank?

I can see what your saying about him being hungry, I recently lost one of my guppies so I'm not putting in as much food. I'll be sure to drop in a tablet for them every night that they like! :thumbs:

Thanks!

Depending on the antibiotic you can treat the whole tank. I personally prefer Maracyn and Maracyn II for treatment as it's safe for all fish, inverts, plants and beneficial bacteria but still kills the harmful bacteria.

A few questions.
1. How big is your tank
2. How often do you do water changes
3. What percentage of water changes do you do
4. What other fish are in the tank

That should help us to help you

:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back