Aaaaarrgggghhhh Escape

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
PI got a weird vision of geckos in uniform holding rifles patrolling the great wall of china then :rofl:

Whats a jads though?

And dobt, my work colleagues wants to know why i am laughing now

Ahh. Took a look, at $53 for a medium i became interested, but looking at it, lots of large vent mesh. The exo terras, whilst expensive, all glass & fine mesh with tiniest of gaps.

Cheap method is fish tanks, corotherm/correx roof with fly screen mesh vents. You can use paper binders (the solid plastic trapezoid type) down the edges to make a snug fit.

Upon further inspection the centipede is gone again.
See you next year centipede! :lol:

:byebye:

Thought I would give everybody an update. For anyone who has missed out on noticing this recently, Scotland has been seeing temperatures of 30+ degrees C which considering it has struggled to be 15 degrees until the last couple weeks is something unusual for us as well as suddenly different, there is no acclimatisation. With this, our bedroom also plays host to a number of reptiles and so daily has parts of it warming to 40 degrees or more adding to it. Normally the natural heat exchange keeps a nice warm room for other unheated reptiles. Right now however we are getting a very very warm bedroom. This last 6 hours have been one of the hottest, so bye bye to duvet, hello single sheet and some tossing and turning.

The last 5 hours we have put everything down to the heat, but just discovered Mr Bitey was missing again. Yup, we have ourselves our first official repeat offending escape artist! He was quickly found thankfully but all night long both my wife and I have felt something has been out of place. Now we know what it was I suppose I can stop blaming the wife for tossing n turning.

It definitely seems that we need to up our game on containing this ine though, as we have a roamer!

Another little update & tip for anyone else who has an escape artist snake.

Rule 1) if they escape once, it will not be their last time in a standard housing of glass/wood viv or plastic tub homing.

Rule 2) immediately upgrade that homing paying attention to the following:

● if using a plastic tub home for an escape artist, the "under the bed" sweater box from Tesco has an almost zero gap around the edge.

However it is not secure. At all. And tape is terrible. Your escape artist will escape and become trapped in it and this can generate vet bills and even death.

However, B&Q can supply M6 20mm bolts and M6 wing nuts. Every 5 cm drill round the flange of the tub, nut & bolt it. It adds 5 minutes to opening and closing this home but if you have an escape artist, do it.

● if going for the wood viv home approach, your weakest point is around the edge of the glass. Using some common beading & panel pins with silicon adhesive to create a grove at either ends for your glass to slot into. Double lock DRILL top n bottom to prevent glass slide and finally use a full length wedge. The length of the glass. Get rid of the unit provided vent covers, purchase 2mm mesh, cut to fit over size on the hole, drill and screw every 3cm. Edge with silicon to take away sharp edges.

It may seem overkill but it is this simple: your escape artist will try again, its time for you to up your game!

Oh wow! Scary, I am glad it didn't end up in the bed with one of the kids. I think we are incredibly lucky over here, there only thing that has managed to escape is goldfish, which is sad initally but everyone seems to  get over it a bit faster than say one of the cats or lizards...

Definitely lucky to have caught this guy the way we have: many people loose them forever and some neighbours get a horrible fright: not everyone is as unafraid of animals as my wife and I are.

Never had a snake escape out of any housing here lol. Though I do only keep corn snakes we used to have an old Salmon Boa called Chris and she never escaped either lol.

Both my corns are in a wooden viv each, one with a metal slide lock and one with a rubber wedge. Never had a problem with them :)

I'd say if you have a wooden viv for your snake, get either a metal lock or a rubber wedge - The Metal lock is more secure but the rubber wedge works too :)

My female has the metal lock as she did get around the rubber wedge and the male has the rubber wedge till I can get a second metal lock.

We did have metal slide locks but found (along with a lot of others I have spoken to) that they fit really really badly on vivexotics.

Im now a fan of the dead bolt locks for vivs, bit that requires drilling of the glass to fit, not for the faint hearted. This guys is now in Alcatraz, took one of the large ubder bed storage boxes from Tesco and its bolted all around. If any one bolt were to fail, he will be found :D

About to modify an old 3' x 2' wardrobe into a viv stack though and he is going into this, it will be interesting to say the least. It will be computer controlled & monitored for temp, thermostat & lighting. Thinking about adding an "open" alarm should it open when its not expected. Bonus is its all internet connected, monitor them from afar too :)

dgwebster said:
We did have metal slide locks but found (along with a lot of others I have spoken to) that they fit really really badly on vivexotics.

Im now a fan of the dead bolt locks for vivs, bit that requires drilling of the glass to fit, not for the faint hearted. This guys is now in Alcatraz, took one of the large ubder bed storage boxes from Tesco and its bolted all around. If any one bolt were to fail, he will be found
biggrin.png

About to modify an old 3' x 2' wardrobe into a viv stack though and he is going into this, it will be interesting to say the least. It will be computer controlled & monitored for temp, thermostat & lighting. Thinking about adding an "open" alarm should it open when its not expected. Bonus is its all internet connected, monitor them from afar too
smile.png

Oh yeah, the normal metal slide locks fit badly on vivexotics but you can get specific ones for vivexotics :) Our Beardy, Mushu, has a vivexotic viv with a metal slide lock :) The metal slide lock on a beardy viv may seem a bit OTT but we have a toddler running round and the viv is in the living room lol.

All sounds good :) Glad he's been found both times, I always feel bad for people that lose snakes and never find them or don't find them for months :( It must be terrible. My female corn is dopey. I once left her viv lock off by accident all night. Woke up the next morning - Viv doors open and snake on my bed XD

We had noticed the viv locks as well, although at our time of ordering we had trouble locating them in the UK and someone forum posts suggested they still weren't brilliant.

A lock on a beardie home isnt mad: I've got all 3 of ours wedged shut, but used laminate flooring wedge blocks instead.

Ah, I wasn't on about it just being locked lol. I was on about it sounded OTT about having a heavy duty metal slide lock that need unlocking with a key on a beardy home lol. I'd always have vivs locked no matter what is inside, simply because I'm paranoid like that :lol:

I was reading this and the amount of people saying they wouldn't keep a pet that bites. Cats bites, dogs bites and these can be quite deadly. You'll see on the news often of a dog killing someone. So, a snake is a better pet to keep over a dog. They'll only bite if you annoy them, same as a dog. The snake bite is harmless, you might bleed but it's the shock that scares people :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back