Aaaaarrgggghhhh Escape

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dgwebster

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So I am finally getting enough time to sit and post this. Hopefully enough time has passed to make it funny.

At 4am I awoke today to the noise like a gentle knock. Expecting my kids to have gotten up or similar. Alas there is nothing and I put the noise down to dreamy awakeness moment.

At 6am both the wife and I awoke to a chink type sound. After a startled "what was that" the Mrs got the idea that a stack of food dishes soaking in soapy water had tumbled. She got out the bed and checked it out, but the dishes were fine. Suddenly from the corner of her eye she spies movement on the floor and makes a profanity. I hit the lights and there she spies my desert kingsnake on the floor.

Instinctively she grabs the snake and I leap up but we have a problem: this is the snake that is guaranteed to bite. And we dont know how it got out its home so cannot put it back in. So I frantically sort out a secure storage tub, she dodges strikes, snake poops everywhere to boot.

It turns out the snake has figured out how to open one of the access hatches on the roof of its home. You may wonder how we know the snake did it and not one of us left it open.

Because of the snakes behaviour I am the only one that handles it. We have an extremely strict regime when dealing with the reptiles. And to date we have managed many years with high numbers of reptiles and not had a single snake escape before (it is surprisingly common.) Our only previous escape was two frogs who were able to find through the vent gaps! In addition, the last time I used that particular access point was over two weeks ago. If it had been like that for two weeks, the snake would have been gone long ago as I see him prodding them daily.

So, with our first middle of the night escape, I leave you all with this story. I am very rarely bitten, I treat these creatures with the utmost care and respect. Meticulous attention to detail does not prevent all eventualities and people: sleep with one eye open!

Dude, that blows. At least you got him back in his cage. How are you gonna stop it from happening again?

Yeah I think I owe the wife one lol!

He is in a new home at the moment, a large Really Useful Box with vent holes about half the size of his head drilled in it. Got that clamped down so only one way in/out, through the lid.

It is mad, but we were unusual having gone so long without an escape.

Same with above! I really couldn't sleep if I knew I had a pet that could really hurt me, so I commend you on your courageousness xD

I have seen far worse and worryingly, there are people out there who keep venomous snakes. I am working on trust with him which involves going through this but his personality may end up just being a snake that doesn't like to be handled.

Also, its more a fright than painful: stepping on a drawing pin/stapling yourself/hypodermic needle insertion hurt more.

My friend got a centipede which promptly escaped and is still roaming around the house somewhere..they have spotted it twice and couldnt catch it!
They bite too lol ;-)
Glad you caught it!

Centipedes always escape. So do millipedes. I've found one of mine which I haven't seen is months yesterday. He is back in his tank now while I wait for him to escape once more. I treat mine more like snakes than bugs, you don't want to get bitten by these, seriously, don't do it! :D

We have a giant african black millipede, red leg millipede & a chocolate millipede, none of which have escaped and none of which have every bitten us :s either that or im used to worse bites and think its a tickle.

3 (the name of the escape snake) has been behaving himself, so he gets some more handling tonight before feed time and locked up tight again!

The millies don't bite thank god. Only 2 centis have escaped but about 10 Millies have gotten out. Whats your secret to keeping them in?

That explains it!

We have only used fish tanks & exo terras as homes for them, the fish tanks they cannot reach the top of as vents are only over low-zones and the exo terras just seem to be very good at keeping them in :)

PThats must be the problem. The jads aren't good for Millis and centis, :-(
Next project will be a milli/ centi proof tank. :D

Jads?

I should add, we have them in a mixed environment, living with the crested geckos. Nice relationship between them, maybe the geckos patrol the escape routes?

Most reactions

trending

Back