A Terrible Fish Article

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Here is another odd (in a few spots) article

Although guppies are attractive as adults, they aren’t particularly impressive as pets. If you buy a guppie that is not growing, you may find yourself regretting your purchase. Guppies will eventually grow to be a stunted, short-lived creature. You’ll eventually have to give up on them if they don’t grow as fast as you want them to.

Once a guppy reaches adult size, it will start to live in a territory. It will begin feeding on plants and small fish in the larval phase. The guppies will reach full size in two to four months and will start eating large fish. Then, they will enter the adult phase, which lasts for one week. And once they’re big enough to reproduce, they’ll die.

Once a guppy reaches adult size, it will start to live in a territory. It will begin feeding on plants and small fish in the larval phase. The guppies will reach full size in two to four months and will start eating large fish. Then, they will enter the adult phase, which lasts for one week. And once they’re big enough to reproduce, they’ll die.
Huh? But I’ve seen fish reproduce that lived longer than a week

Joseph Stalin said that "Paper will put up with anything written on it". It used to be a chilling quote about propaganda, but now it seems like a basic statement about the internet and other mass media, minus the paper. Extremely stupid articles like these, whether they are bone ignorant or are trolling, are what we have. If you want intelligent information, you have to fall back to a very few sites with qualified editors and gatekeepers. In our little world of fishkeeping, it's incredible how few science based sites exist for us to use.

It's also remarkable how few people care.

I don't think paying attention to articles like this gets us anywhere. We have to create a culture of tested knowledge, and stop reacting to what idiots blather on about. Write grounded articles to replace this garbage. We need fact checkers and peer editors, but they are obsolete economically. The old system where respected scientists would go over articles and books before publication, and call out the authors to provide backup for their statements is dead and gone.

Either we decide to keep constantly learning about this pastime, or we accept silliness. Ultimately, we have to learn to produce good material and accept criticism. That used to be a lot easier when you got paid for doing it, and I can see where it may not happen.

It's one thing if we disagree on how to do things after we have looked into them. But opinions not based on thought, research and analysis are worthless. We have to work a bit sometimes.

Grrrr.

I believe it's up to the individual these days to get information from multiple sources on the same thing and retain the stuff that is common among all the articles....
It's a simple method that just works..
The problem is many people are simpletons and don't care to read and end up trusting for eg the guy at the fish store...
--> My 10gal is full of green stuff....store guy...that's algae...here's a common pleco..

--> Can I get a filter for my 10gal? store guy...sure...here's a fluval 15000 FX turbo with the new silent whisper technology! for 500 bucks...
person goes back..."it doesnt fit my tank..." again store guy...that's probably because you don't have this and this on your tank...did you buy it from us? here and here....200$

--> my fish died..it looked like sprinkles...store guy...just put these meds and these...plus these...and you should buy them every month to keep your fish from getting sick!
the previous one is just epic awesomeness on how to get fish killed but keep getting customers to come back thinking they're actually doing good by putting meds into their tank

I don't know how many times it has to be said but then again...
-----> "Don't trust the advice of anyone that has something to gain from it" <-----

Here is another odd (in a few spots) article
Thanks for the link. I've just read the article. There are some good pointers ( at the beginning) but I also do read stuff that are incorrect by all means. It's everybody's right to have their own view on things but if you're so sure about yourself of what you're saying and set up a page like this, you're making a fool out of yourself. But maybe this person doesn't even realize this.
I do get it that one can be very proud when a page or site that one has created about his/her passion. For I've read a serious number of such sites and pages that are interesting to look at but doesn't contain the correct information. And most of them are made out of enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is great but it can also be a downfall.

Clearly you missed this companion article on that site:

10-Gallon Fish Tank Socking Ideas​

https://arew.org/10-gallon-fish-tank-socking-ideas/

I prefer knee socks for my 10 gallon tanks, how about you?
Or maybe the were planning to use a 10 gal. tank as a punching bag?

p.s. I did not read any of the replies after the first post, so apologies if the above was mentioned already.

Last edited:
Clearly you missed this companion article on that site:

10-Gallon Fish Tank Socking Ideas​

https://arew.org/10-gallon-fish-tank-socking-ideas/

I prefer knee socks for my 10 gallon tanks, how about you?
Or maybe the were planning to use a 10 gal. tank as a punching bag?

p.s. I dod not read any of the replies after the first post, so apologies if the above was mentioned already.
That was also a fun article. The white cloud mountain minnows look off, somehow... ;)
The person who wrote this supposedly has a bachelor's degree in animal science. I have my doubts.

Most reactions

Back