A Suggestion For Tff

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Anthony!

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just a suggestion.. I am going to (within the next few months) install a brackish tank, and I would like it if there were a brackish fish section in the tropical fish index. Just a suggestion, maybe somebody here agrees with me. I think it would be very beneficial for people trying to locate various species of brackish fish. What do you think?

I thought that too, but upon a second read I think smurf was talking about having a brackish fish index. There is one for saltwater and fresh but no brackish.

You have a point, but to have a more complete index, I think tff needs to have an individual brackish index. Think of how much easier it would be for people who aren't sure about brackish fish to research them. If you want to know something about a guppy, you look in the livebearer section. If you want to know about silver dollars, you look in characins. If you would like to research brackish fish at present, you split up in the oddball section (bumblebee goby, etc.), livebearer section (mollies) and others. This is all for the sake of a more complete index for TFF, and maybe a little bit for myself, so I can plan out a good tank :) This would also help to others interested in brackish fish.

How do we have too many? I think you might have misunderstood it. Follow the link to the fish index: Fish Index It's a place where you can find profiles for fish you want to keep, and they're sorted by whatever it is you're looking for.

Having saltwater and even plants, I definatly do agree we could use a brackish section in there. Right now it's kind of annoying to find, I guess that right now you can find most of the brackish fish that have been submitted under the 'oddball' section. On the actual forums the brackish fish used to go under oddballs as well until they got their own section. So it would be less confusing to have a brackish section in the fish index too.

Brackish fish are still members of whatever family they are in so are placed as so rather than having a seperate brackish section.

For instance the columbian shark catfish is a brackish fish but its still a catfish.

One thing though. Many fish that people think are freshwater such as x-ray tetras, banjo catfish, kribs, and a million others do naturally inhabit brackish waters and are fine for the brackish water aqaurium. How would you lump those into it?

By the way- Im working on another brackish piece about fish that hobbyists think are freshwater but can live in brackish.

Oh, that. Yes. I thought he meant the board index, where all the forums are listed. Yeah, what he means there is totally different. Fish index, that's a good idea. I'm having a blonde day today. :eek:

Brackish fish are still members of whatever family they are in so are placed as so rather than having a seperate brackish section.

For instance the columbian shark catfish is a brackish fish but its still a catfish.

I absolutely understand what you mean CFC, and it makes sense. All I'm saying is to join together the brackish fish in a part of the index, so people do not accidently purchase a brackish fish, for a freshwater tank, as I'm sure some people, (myself included) have done. I know that keeping individual species in their family indexes is important, but what I mean to say is that moving them to a brackish index would help catagorize them for future (or current) brackish tank owners. Then again, this is just the random babbling of an idiot. I just believe it would be helpful. But it is your decision to make, not mine.

Why not make cross-links from Catfish to Brackish for fish fitting into both catagories and from any other families?

That is exactly what I meant to say, but I just didn't say it correctly. Thank you teelie! I meant to say share the family index with the brackish for individual fish, so that no mistake is made for a potential owner of said animal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back