A sort of escape artist

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CV26

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

Random one here...

We have a 100l Aqua One tank. The whole filter system is concealed behind a panel in the tank and it runs the whole length of the tank. The flow through is fairly strong.

We have some Norman's Lampeye in there and the smallest one keeps finding its way through the grill into the first compartment.

There are two sponges in there, one on top of the other and some water space.

We've tried moving one sponge up to block the grill... The little devil somehow managed to get past that sponge and go down into the water space that was now between the two sponges.

So we moved the sponge back downwards a bit so at least he stays in the water space at the top of the compartment, and can't hurt himself wiggling past the sponge.

We go on holiday soon but so far, I'm fishing him out the back of the filter every day. He'll stay out for a period and end up back in there.

Not sure if he likes it or is a weaker swimmer and gets sucked in. He doesn't seem to want to / be able to get back out on his own.

I have someone coming into check on the fish a couple of times when we're away. But I don't want them to be sticking their hands in the tank fishing this little guy back out all the time.

Is he likely to be ok chilling in that compartment until we get back if needs be?

It could be a whole week that he'd end up in there! I think he's unlikely to get sucked / swim any further into the system... he'll just stay in that water space at the top.

Many thanks.

If it's only for a week the fish should be fine.

Try adding some floating plants to the tank and the fish might hide in them instead of the filter. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best floating plant and can also be grown in the substrate.

The only other option is putting some mesh or sponge over the screen to stop the fish getting into the filter. However, don't have this too high because if it blocks up, the water could overflow out of the tank.

Thanks Colin :)

We do have some floating plants...there's a whole corner although the roots aren't very long so it's more of a surface covering. Will see if I can track down anything better.

Just watched him for a bit and he was hanging out round the grill so it seems he is strong enough to get away from the pull if he wants to. Just looks like he can't quite figure out how to get back out!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back