A place 4 my questions & ponderings as I build a 34 Gallons (127L) tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I'm sorry the size wasn't quite what you wanted, but it still looks so good and will still work! :wub:

The tank arrived! I was so excited opened up the packaging and quickly realised I got the measurements wrong. I thought it was 36" length x 12" height x 18" width (90cm x 30cm x 45.7cm). It is in fact 36" length x 18" height x 12" width. I had a panic. I had a little cry. The space is very tight but thankfully Peter is more calm than I am. He removed a plinth from cabinet above to make of fit. I can keep it positioned so there's enough space to get at the tank. Though I will need a stool. Until we've somewhere else it'll do in the this space & I'll move my 58L/16G over beside it. Which is 24" length x 13.5" height x 12" width (60cm x 35cm x 30cm). All my research into the right height filter. It was really upsetting. But it is a lovely shape tank.
I saw a bonio box in the cupboard! You have a dog(s) too?? Definitely kindred (non) spirits! What kinda dog? Share photos! Mine is in my profile pic :)

The sand is great, you went for the Unipac Limpopo sand too, right? I rinsed mine, but not super thoroughly, and it didn't cloud at all, was so great since most sands do cloud the tank for a few days and I was impatient to crack on with hardscape and planting. Nice to be able to muck about it with it and not have to worry about that, although it still took a day for the water to look crystal clear. But it wasn't a mess either, even when I removed a load of sand since I'd put too much in. The site says "Processed to avoid dust and debris", I guess it really is!

Can't wait to see the tank up and running, and when the first livestock go in! So excited for you love

@AdoraBelle Dearheart we've a Vizlador - Vizla crossed with a Lab. She's a rescue I found in the street in a bad way away 7 years ago. Fell for her instantly. Dozer is now about 10/11. She's very affectionate and cuddle but quite active too. Elliot (my kid) loves giving her bonios! Abd cuddles :)

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200915_184038.jpg
    MVIMG_20200915_184038.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20200915-184548~2.png
    Screenshot_20200915-184548~2.png
    622.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20200915-184458~2.png
    Screenshot_20200915-184458~2.png
    827.6 KB · Views: 41
  • FB_IMG_1600191793386.jpg
    FB_IMG_1600191793386.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 38
Lovely tank, how annoying about the measurements but seems it’s worked out fine in the end.

Are you able to fit tank lights on top as well ? Hopefully won’t be an issue.

Custom glass lids look good, looks like a quality job and think even I would be rather pleased with that if that was mine and I am a bit pernickety about things like that :lol:

See the Eheim filters running nicely and seems you’ll get good turnover and flow for the water column.

You’re getting there:yahoo:

Love the pics of the dog btw;)

Lovely tank, how annoying about the measurements but seems it’s worked out fine in the end.

Are you able to fit tank lights on top as well ? Hopefully won’t be an issue.

Custom glass lids look good, looks like a quality job and think even I would be rather pleased with that if that was mine and I am a bit pernickety about things like that :lol:

See the Eheim filters running nicely and seems you’ll get good turnover and flow for the water column.

You’re getting there:yahoo:

Love the pics of the dog btw;)

Yes I fit the lights on. Millimeters to spare haha. The lid is very smooth. It was €70 but I think it was worth doing. I might a small handle on each end just to make sliding easier.

I'm really glad I put the blackout on the sides too. It's looking really nice. The stream from the Eheim is lovely. The sound of the water is really nice. I've a plant delivery due tomorrow and will start the cycle by adding ammonium hydroxide & the Tetra SafeStart bacteria. The Bonsai & moss might come tomorrow too.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200915_192229.jpg
    MVIMG_20200915_192229.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 39
  • MVIMG_20200915_192353.jpg
    MVIMG_20200915_192353.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 39
  • MVIMG_20200915_192344.jpg
    MVIMG_20200915_192344.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 41
@AdoraBelle Dearheart we've a Vizlador - Vizla crossed with a Lab. She's a rescue I found in the street in a bad way away 7 years ago. Fell for her instantly. Dozer is now about 10/11. She's very affectionate and cuddle but quite active too. Elliot (my kid) loves giving her bonios! Abd cuddles :)
OMG, I love her!! She has such a sweet, kind face! The photo with Elliot and her...my heart. That's one to frame and hang somewhere.

Pixie, my Springer/Border Collie, goes nuts for Bonios. I don't know what they put in them since they look sorta plain and boring compared to most treats I buy for her, but she goes nuts and dances around and spins when she sees a bonio box. I don't give them often since they're huge, and I usually only use small treats for training exercises and games, but every now and then I get some in since she gets so excited.
PixieFaves.JPG

OMG, I love her!! She has such a sweet, kind face! The photo with Elliot and her...my heart. That's one to frame and hang somewhere.

Pixie, my Springer/Border Collie, goes nuts for Bonios. I don't know what they put in them since they look sorta plain and boring compared to most treats I buy for her, but she goes nuts and dances around and spins when she sees a bonio box. I don't give them often since they're huge, and I usually only use small treats for training exercises and games, but every now and then I get some in since she gets so excited.
View attachment 116429
She's gorgeous. You know those nutrigrain oat bars? If Dozer smells one open in the room she goes bonkers!!

Tank is warming up. I don't know what the blue light is for but it looks kinda cool. I really love the Aquaballs! I'm really enjoying the waves they create at the top. @Lajos_Detari thanks for recommendation to get two! They're fantastic.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200915_213529.jpg
    MVIMG_20200915_213529.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 45
  • MVIMG_20200915_213806.jpg
    MVIMG_20200915_213806.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 38
I left the waves going all night and now have lots of bubbles on top. Is that ok or will I lower the spray bar and nozzle?

I noticed yesterday some trapped air in the sand. Will I move it around to get rid of this? I'll be planting today once the plants arrive. Not too much at once but a nice start.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200916_090010.jpg
    MVIMG_20200916_090010.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 35
I'm despairing here. Can't find anywhere with ammonia for cycling tank. Delivery from UK is about 3 times the price of the dr tims ammonium. Also my plants didn't arrive today.

I have the tetra SafeStart - could I add this to tank with plants and strive for a plant/silent cycle? It's just seems crazy to spend so much in delivery for the ammonium :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back