A Pair Of Angelfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish_face

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i've had several angelfish before and love em to bits, but find that whatever group combination I try, they never get on (2 always pair up and pick on the othes). I have one male that I really want to keep and would like to stick to just 2, but find it impossible to sex them in the shop. I know he would probably get on with any female, but if I accidently bought a male, would they definitely fight?

2 angels in a 75 gal, should be ok. What will help is if you have a lot of tall plants to break the line of vision if theres any problems. :shifty:

Hi everyone, i've had several angelfish before and love em to bits, but find that whatever group combination I try, they never get on (2 always pair up and pick on the othes). I have one male that I really want to keep and would like to stick to just 2, but find it impossible to sex them in the shop. I know he would probably get on with any female, but if I accidently bought a male, would they definitely fight?

I see you have 28 Cardinals - You got any pic's? Bet they look great shoaling up tight :thumbs:

With a 75 I'd get 7 or 8 more angels, and wait for a compatable pairing situation. You could then trade back the unwanted angels for credit. Every non-corporate lfs I've ever encountered has been willing to do this, they don't get in larger angels too often, and know they are good sellers.

I was really only after 2 as I have a large male and want only one other angel. What i'm asking is if i end up with 2 makes, are they likely to fight??? The cardinals do look good by the way, but no pics yet :)

Two males tend to get on. As there is no female for them to fight over. 3 will be trouble, as the odds are that one will be a different sex.

If you know how the sex angels then getting a male is the best option, as a female will only cause problems for the rest of the ocupants of the tank.
If you are unsure of the sex of a Angle, then it is best to not buy it, no matter how good of fish it might be.

HTH

Hey Dolphin, welcome back! :) Good to see another angel breeder around here.

The only reliable way of sexing an angel is to wait until the breeding tubes are down. This usually means buying a pair, which can get expensive. Generally speaking males will grow a little larger than females, have a little more hump to the head, and be a bit skinnier than females. You usually can't tell any of this until they are nearing a year old, at least half dollar body size. Even then it's only an educated guess, you are lucky to be 75% accurate. I don't know anyone who is better than 50% accurate with juvies, quarter body size or smaller.

I've never heard of anyone venting an angel, as is sometimes done to sex larger fish. I imagine the narrow body shape would make this nearly impossible.

Dolphin; from looking at previous posts it looks like you have around double the setup I have running. If you are any good at sexing by looking at pictures, let me know. I have some adult koi in a pairing situation at the moment, as well as other assorted angels that are looking to be potential breeders.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back