A Newbie's Jump Into Aquaria! 29G Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tannins lower ph??? My ph went up 0.4-0.5 when I added my driftwood!? :/

Wow, thanks for all of the great info guys!!

Yeah, tannins are supposed to lower the pH, which is partially why I was so adamant about getting driftwood for my tank. However, even though I'm assuming there are still tannins being released as my water is tea colored, the pH stayed the same. 
confused.gif

But fun coincidence, while I was browsing at my LFS there was a guy there purchasing a couple species of corydoras. I asked him while they were bagging his fish if he has kept them before, and he said he's been keeping them for years. He said he also has well water and that his is about 8.0, and that his do fine, but that he does like a 3 hour acclimation process and always buys them from this certain fish store because their pH is higher, so the fish are already kind of used to it. (Kind of funny, I had asked another LFS customer who was bragging about her amazing tank the same thing around a week ago, and she said "what is pH?")

Anyway, this gives me hope again! So I think I may try and go for it soon :)

HAHA!! Lol!! It's always the people that brag non stop that are clueless lol. You ask them what fish they have and they'll be like "an orange one, and a yellow one". Coz that helps lol.

FlakeyBiscuit3.14 said:
Wow, thanks for all of the great info guys!!

Yeah, tannins are supposed to lower the pH, which is partially why I was so adamant about getting driftwood for my tank. However, even though I'm assuming there are still tannins being released as my water is tea colored, the pH stayed the same. 
confused.gif

But fun coincidence, while I was browsing at my LFS there was a guy there purchasing a couple species of corydoras. I asked him while they were bagging his fish if he has kept them before, and he said he's been keeping them for years. He said he also has well water and that his is about 8.0, and that his do fine, but that he does like a 3 hour acclimation process and always buys them from this certain fish store because their pH is higher, so the fish are already kind of used to it. (Kind of funny, I had asked another LFS customer who was bragging about her amazing tank the same thing around a week ago, and she said "what is pH?")

Anyway, this gives me hope again! So I think I may try and go for it soon
smile.png

The tannins would need to build up a while to reduce the kH before they will actually affect the pH.  You have hard water, because of the well.  So, that's all a part of it. 

Well you learn something new everyday huh? My kg has dropped but my ph hasn't budged.... :/

Which indicates that you haven't overcome the buffering capacity of the kH yet.

Oh okay. Do you know if driftwood, or even peat moss, for that matter would ever even have an effect on my pH since my kH is sooo high? (on the test strip it reads at least 300ppm)

It will eventually... but you might need to consider RO as well.

A crazy idea I've often had, but never tried (since I don't have hard water) would be to run the water through a 'peat' filter and then add it to the tank.

Peat filter would just be two identical sized buckets, one with holes drilled and cheesecloth laid at the bottom... topped with a few inches of peat moss.  Then just pour the water into that bucket and let it percolate through.... this will stain the water, lower the pH and soften it all at the same time.  Then if you don't like the look of the darker water a carbon filter would remove the tannins.

Just a crazy notion I've had that I've never been able to test.

This probably sounds pathetic, but that just sounds like too much work to me lol I would rather just mix in some distilled water from the grocery store... heh heh.... 
whistling.gif

But it doesn't sound like a crazy notion! It sounds like a good idea for those who want to make sure the water is prepped before putting in the tank. That's just not what I'm aiming for....

I know that it sounds like you'll be there all day but just think about how much it will benefit your fish long term... :)

But of course it is all up to you, your tank and your fish. :)

FlakeyBiscuit3.14 said:
This probably sounds pathetic, but that just sounds like too much work to me lol I would rather just mix in some distilled water from the grocery store... heh heh.... :whistle:

But it doesn't sound like a crazy notion! It sounds like a good idea for those who want to make sure the water is prepped before putting in the tank. That's just not what I'm aiming for....
True, distilled water would work. Your LFS might have it cheaper.... Gotta check around for prices. The biggest issue is that you'd want to use the same % of RO for each water change. Consistency is the key.

Update time!!

So I have made some new additions to my tank! I bought 5 young corydoras trilineatus (sold as Julii cory :p) a couple days ago and so far they are doing great! They are definitely skiddish of me (making it hard to get good pictures) but are all swimming and looking healthy and as of yet unaffected by my water parameters. Whoohoo!

1003385_10152458418515309_4249961834185728339_n.jpg

10330342_10152458417675309_3801992873992635607_n.jpg

What I ended up doing to acclimate them was as follows:
I realized that after I did a water change (20-25%) my pH goes down to 8.0 because of the mixed older water and newer water full of CO2.
So, I did my water change for the week right before I went and got the corys.
That way, they got acclimated to the 8.0 pH water over the course of an hour and a half (the normal, let the bag float, add some of the new water, etc)
and then over night they could get used to it going all the way up to 8.3 overnight as the CO2 gasses dispersed.

That way the pH acclimation was very slow and gradual.

Now, even though I feel like this worked great for the acclimation process, I am kind of worried about doing weekly water changes where the pH changes that much on them that quickly.... Will the difference of 0.3 for the pH be considered pH shock? My bloodfins have been fine for all of my water changes so far, but I'd rather not push my luck.

Also, just a random behavioral question... Out of my 6 bloodfins, 5 normally swim together and around the tank and 1 normally hides most of the day. Now, out of my my 5 corys, 4 normally swim around and are active together but 1 will sit still most of the day. Is this normal with schooling fish? Is there just one odd man out who doesn't get accepted in to the group and is left to hide and be lonely? :( It is not the smallest in the groups either. In the second picture of the corys you can actually see, the 4 up front and then the one all the way in the back and out of focus.

It does happen from time to time... but it can also be a sign that the loner is ill.  Keep a close eye on them and watch for any signs of stress other than being isolated.

Your pic of the single cory is awesome! I haven't seen a species profile pic that looks better. Great stuff.

Ha, thanks! I've actually even gotten some better ones since, I'll have to post 'em soon! :)

But yeah, I will keep an eye on them. Although I'm not really sure what I can do for them right now 
confused.gif

Most reactions

Back