A New Generation In Filtration

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Reaction score
I called at Maidenhead Aquatics today and was told about this:

It's called Ocean Free and is new on the market. I'll share the blurb and then we can see what we all think

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/ocean-free-hydra-stream-3-inline-filter-5m-cable

Personally, it just sounds too good to be true but then that might just be my sceptical mind. The chap that told me about it know's me well and he knows I have a big problem with Phosphates in my tap water supply. He also knows RO isn't an option because of my living conditions.

He said it had been tested at MA head office in a pond and it worked. He said he's considering trying it on his home marine set up and if he goes down that route he'll give me a review next time I call in. 

What do we think?

i call big time BS, sponges all the way. I like my external

too good to be true? That's my thoughts anyway

in theory it works, but I wouldn't want raw current touching my water at any point

Haha.whatever next eh?
In the reviews section.someone is saying its close to doing zero water changes.dont know about anyone else but I wouldn't want a maintenance free tank.we may complain now and again about our tank chores but surely at the end of the day it's the satisfaction from your tank maintenance that's the main part of the hobby.i enjoy it anyway,

yeah, I moan too but I do get satisfaction from having done my maintenance for this week 
laugh.png

Yip.not long done mine.glad it's over haha.

Sounds like another crazy idea being forced upon us as the greatest thing to ever hit the hobby lol

Water changes replenish as much or more than what they remove.

That device is yet another magic box for keeping tanks clean. Nature has developed a system for keeping water clean. We try to emulate this to the greatest possible extent in tanks and what we cannot replicate we deal with via water changes etc. What nature has not developed is an electronic device for doing things better than biology can.

You need to still run your filters etc, so this device makes tanks more expensive via your electric bill.
Your media can last for years if you maintain it properly, this device requires buying things yearly.
You still need to clean this device for it to work properly, so your work load will be increased.
Since it short circuits the biological processes and eliminates ammonia via an electro-chemical reaction, what happens if you lose power for a day or two? As long as temp issues are not involved, one can drop media into the tank and run a battery powered air pump and things will be fine.

How much ammonium can there be in the tank. To claim it is harmless is a canard. That would imply we can allow it to build up substantially and remain present with no ill effect.

further research in - this creates neutrally charged hydroxide ions (hydroxyl free radicals) by charging a "special media" aka charging an expensive lump of foam.

Something to note about free radicals

Free radicals are incredibly reactive molecules that consecutively react with many things UNTIL they combine with another free radical. To put into perspective, the ozone hole was caused by free radicals generated by the reaction between CFC's and UV light, as far as I remember.

Nah, i don;t want current in my tank and I don't want free radicals in my tank. I want a big filter full of foams and ceramics that I know works and I have faith in. Also, It hums. I like it's hum.

There's an old thread on this on Cichlid-forum:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=242062

Based on this, it looks like the device is effective in the short term, but its long term efficacy is unknown. The manufacturer claims it deals with nitrates as well as ammonia and nitrites, so if it does work, then it'd be pretty useful for hobbyists.

Blubble37 said:
 It hums. I like it's hum.

Me too! we are a weird bunch 
rofl.gif

A few months ago we had a major electrical fault where I live (footpath dug up, electrical cables exposed, hole deep enough to hide a body ... ;) ) and so my electric had to go off for an hour ... it just felt wrong not hearing then gentle hum ... it made me twitchy not listening to that soothing hum 
blink.png

if it hums and it creaks a little and buzzes when it's disturbed I know it's working. If the fish are belly up in the water and already cooked, I know this new one isn't working

yeah, I've got to admit to needing a LOT more information and needing to read a LOT more positive reviews ... and even then I'd still be skeptical. If something seems to be too good to be true - it usually is.

That said, there is a part of me that is wondering if this could be the answer to my major phosphate problem. With a reading of 1.6ppm from the tap (1.8 being the maxiumum on the scale) I'm fighting a battle I can't win. I'm literally adding phosphate remover to my filter about once every 8 weeks as everytime I do a water change I'm just adding more phosphate. Phosphate at that level makes the fish sickly and causes BBA in my tank.

If this new thing turns out to be the answer then I may consider adding it but using it as a replacement filter? not on your life 
no.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back