A new fish person with some questions...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I use this single sponge filter in my 10g tank. For my 20g and 29g tanks I use the dual sponge filter. [These are the first photo.] The Hydro sponge filters [second photo] are another type, I have one but find it takes up more space because it has to sit on the substrate (in a back corner usually) whereas the other type attach to a wall of the tank and can be adjusted. The Hagen Elite models may not be available now, but I got similar sponge filters from amazon. The principle is the same. In tanks with plants, and just good floating plants, this is all you need, up to even 40g (I had the dual sponge in my 40g tank for 3 or 4 years before I moved). Essjay already posted about the valves, you want one "free" outlet no matter how many filters/tanks are connected to the pump.

Attachments

• Hagen Elite sponge filters.jpg
    Hagen Elite sponge filters.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Hydro sponge filters.jpg
    Hydro sponge filters.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 32
I use this single sponge filter in my 10g tank. For my 20g and 29g tanks I use the dual sponge filter. [These are the first photo.] The Hydro sponge filters [second photo] are another type, I have one but find it takes up more space because it has to sit on the substrate (in a back corner usually) whereas the other type attach to a wall of the tank and can be adjusted. The Hagen Elite models may not be available now, but I got similar sponge filters from amazon. The principle is the same. In tanks with plants, and just good floating plants, this is all you need, up to even 40g (I had the dual sponge in my 40g tank for 3 or 4 years before I moved). Essjay already posted about the valves, you want one "free" outlet no matter how many filters/tanks are connected to the pump.
Will seeds like this be okay for my aquarium?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092V5XC7H/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Will seeds like this be okay for my aquarium?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092V5XC7H/?tag=ff0d01-20

I can't answer that, as I have never tried these. I do know that generally speaking, "carpet" plants are not easy, requiring brighter light and sometime more nutrients including CO2, depending. I fortunately have always liked seeing sand substrate in my tanks, broken up by chunks of wood (or rock, depending upon the fish needs), and larger rooted plants.

I am still confused about what to do with my plants. After I unchlorinated my water and put the necessary plant food, the PH level in my tank is still 8. That is 1 higher than it should be for my plants.
@Byron

I concur with Colin. Don't fuss about pH with plants. And what is the GH and pH of the source (tap) water? I've forgotten, and these are what you will have for GH, though pH may alter depending.

I concur with Colin. Don't fuss about pH with plants. And what is the GH and pH of the source (tap) water? I've forgotten, and these are what you will have for GH, though pH may alter depending.
My PH for my tap water was 8. My alkanality was 4 and my Calcium hardness was undetectbale. My test kit you guys recommended is coming tomorrow.

I just got the Aqueon water conditioner bottle and I am confused about the expiration date. I read a review that said it killed their fish and that the bottle is expired. Is this true?
Link- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010729SS/?tag=ff0d01-20

The bottle said 2017.

It depends upon the plants. The faster growing they are, the more ammonia they assimilate. Given this is for a betta, I would look at the more substantial floating plants, like Water Sprite, Frogbit, or Water Lettuce. Bettas also like to have this type of plant to browse among for food (off the roots). Salvinia helps, but is not as useful or effective.
Would these floating plants be good for my 10 gallon aquarium?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VPX5BVN/?tag=ff0d01-20

The Amazon link says mini Amazon frog it, what does that mean? Does that mean they are just small or that they are actually I different plant?

Last edited:
They probably mean they are young plants which will be smaller than fully grown plants and easier to package.

Having said that there are three species of frogbit which all look similar - Amazon frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum), American frogbit (Limnobium spongia) and European frogbit (Hydrocharis morsus-ranae). Only the first is tropical, the others are cold water and won't do well in a tropical tank. If possible, when you buy any see if they give the scientific name to make sure you have the right one.

They probably mean they are young plants which will be smaller than fully grown plants and easier to package.

Having said that there are three species of frogbit which all look similar - Amazon frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum), American frogbit (Limnobium spongia) and European frogbit (Hydrocharis morsus-ranae). Only the first is tropical, the others are cold water and won't do well in a tropical tank. If possible, when you buy any see if they give the scientific name to make sure you have the right one.
Farther up when I was talking about Alkalinity, is a alkalinity of 4 good for plants/Bettas?

Alkalinity does not affect fish directly, and probably not plants. Alkalinity is KH, it is a buffer which stabilises pH.

Hardness is the one you need to know, general or total hardness (different names, same thing). I assume when you said "calcium hardness is undetectable" you meant GH? If you did, that is OK for soft water fish like bettas, though plants do need the GH minerals calcium and magnesium.
You may well need to add a plant fertiliser which contains calcium and magnesium. This may increase the GH of the tank water but not enough to raise it too much for a betta.
As you are in the USA I don't know which plant fertilisers are available to you, so I'll have leave that for an American member to advise.

Alkalinity does not affect fish directly, and probably not plants. Alkalinity is KH, it is a buffer which stabilises pH.

Hardness is the one you need to know, general or total hardness (different names, same thing). I assume when you said "calcium hardness is undetectable" you meant GH? If you did, that is OK for soft water fish like bettas, though plants do need the GH minerals calcium and magnesium.
You may well need to add a plant fertiliser which contains calcium and magnesium. This may increase the GH of the tank water but not enough to raise it too much for a betta.
As you are in the USA I don't know which plant fertilisers are available to you, so I'll have leave that for an American member to advise.
This seems to have .14% Calcium and .11% Magnesium.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00025696M/?tag=ff0d01-20

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back