A list of Commonly seen Hybrids in your LFS

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hmm yeah, that one's colouration looks different than the first, not like a normal con. The missing tail is definitely caused by damage of some sort, you're right about that. If it had been born that way you'd expect to see the dorsal and anal fins meet in the back :nod:

It's still got a little black thread growing out its rear end.. that's its little tail lol. Yesterday I saw a jewel cichlid at the same store with no tail.. was tempted to buy it but it was like $7.. and it was only like 1/2 an inch long.

I don't know why you can't see it but it's a link to a couple of pics of tailess bloodparrots like this one I found on google: http://freshaquarium.about.com/library/pho...oodparrot06.htm They are usualy found under the name of 'loveheart bloodparrot' or something to that effect. They apparently occur like this naturaly - as in the tail is not removed or anything - but I've also heard of some inovative, greedy people deciding to cut the tails and sell the results.

I think it's possible for the dorsal and anal fins to meet when they cut them too... I have 3 of the heart shaped parrots.. I know 1 has been cut for sure, another I don't believe was cut, and the last one I do think was snipped... I think I can tell by the way the ''tail'' area.. Maybe I will see if I can get some pics to show you what I mean.

the trimachorn is actually a marketing ploy. say, a fish store has only 1 flowerhorn or has flowerhorrns that cant get along. Theres a similar fish called the trimac. They can breed with flowerhorns producing fish that look similar to flowerhorns. thats how some fish dealers multiply their flowerhorns and make more money.

Plus, they don't lose anything if it doesn't work.

recently ive released 200 young sajica+jade eye+convict hybrids on the east of the UK.
i have a male convict/sajica and he breed with a regular jade eye to create these stunningly coloured babies. these fish ive never seen before and i came across by shear co-incedence and my first sucsesful hybrid fish raised and sold :) il get a picture of the oldest baby pretty soon.

I may well get shot down here but that is extreamly irresponsible thing to do in my opinion.

By all mean raise the best 5 or 6 out of the bunch but dont go selling them to fish shops
angry.gif

As long as fish shops label them as hybrids, it shouldn't matter.

If they are trying to sell them as pure fish, I can see why people would have a problem..

My LFS assumes that fish traded in are hybrids and doesn't pay full dollar. I have not investigated enough to know how they label them for resale.

my hybrids are labbeled as such and they were completely acidentaly created, if two fish choose to pair with eachover and are of the same species. when there own species are present in ther tank, how can i be blamed for the creation of a hybrid ?

Is someone blaming you? Some see it as unethical to breed hybrids. But as you say, it happens in nature. I suppose deliberately creating a fish that can't survive or struggles to live, would be unkind. There are those that believe it is wrong for people of different races and nationalities to mix. Touchy subject I suppose.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back