A lfs didn't believe me...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
One of our local fish stores asked me what food I'm using. For they've noticed that I never bought food at their store. So, I've told him that I order my fish food at a wholesaler as bulk packaging. And that it concerned high quality food. He asked me for the price I've paid. And he just couldn't believe that a 1 liter can of flake food should cost about €20,00 at his store, while I'm paying just € 8,95 for 5 liters. I even told him that the food I'm buying comes from the same factory as those brands he's got. Mine are just not labeled with a brand name. Just the ingredients are labeled. And they're not canned but bagged. I've got very good results with it, throughout the past years. He's seen pictures of my fish. And he couldn't deny that they were looking healthy. Now, he's considering to order bulk packaging as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1859[1].JPG
    IMG_1859[1].JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1860[1].JPG
    IMG_1860[1].JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 115
Yes but doesn’t flake go off?

If I had that much I’d be worried the bag would go off before the fish are anywhere near finishing it?

Unless you have like 30 fish tanks to feed per day?

I buy bags from the Lps there good value such good value that once they start to smell more than usual I just chuck them and buy another bag

I’ve always thought to myself I’d rather have more than needed and chuck some than not buy enough so as to have to run back to the shop often.

Saying that I’ve recently had a complete opinion change of my lps as they’ve been selling me things without considering what they already know about my tank and taking advantage of the fact I’m new to fish keeping.

Yes but doesn’t flake go off?

If I had that much I’d be worried the bag would go off before the fish are anywhere near finishing it?

Unless you have like 30 fish tanks to feed per day?
Well, to be honest... I've got over 80 tanks running indoors. This is just one bag. This bag doesn't have the time to go off.
Emeraldking does have rather a lot of tanks......
Well yes, the number of tanks overhere does exceed the average number of an average aquarist. And it feels as if there aren't enough tanks already... ☺️
I've already emptied my outdoor tubs. Those fish have moved indoors. And a part of those outdoors kept livebearers have also found new homes at other places. These past two weeks, fish have been shipped to Italy, France and Latvia. And others were shipped domestically. I don't have any problems to get rid of my fish.
emeraldking
maybe you could package up smaller quantities and sell them at a nice profit online on ebay or somewhere else...
Oh, I could. But I won't. I'm also an exhibitor at vivaristic events for years. And I've sold food as well but there were already so many people who were doing that, that I've decided to skip that. Breeders and keepers of rare livebearers or higher segment livebearers (show quality), national and international are more interested in the fish themselves than side products. I've build up a decent name within the serious aquarium world throughout the years. And that's something I'd like to keep it that way. And it's very important to be transparant to the customer within this field (actually, in every kind of field). And don't promise them things that you can not deliver. I'm not focusing on money, but on quality and trust. That I let people pay for it, is because I also have my own costs (food, electricity, water and shipping costs). And when I'm doing an event, I have to make costs for my stand and the car doesn't drive for free.
Throughout the years, fish of mine have moved to several parts of the world. But despite of what I've just mentioned, my first focus is not trade. Firstly, I'm a passionate aquarist at all times before any kind of trade. And in general, my fish go to serious keepers and breeders. And I am very fortunate to have no shortage of enthusiasm from appreciators of such livebearers.

I would suggest everyone buy their flake food in bulk bags. I'm using the same brand of food that I was 40 years ago and buy it in 300grm bags. The bulk bags are made for breeders, wholesalers and LFS. They will always be a quality food because that is what this group demands. The packaging doesn't make the product.

not everyone needs to buy in bulk...I use New Life Spectrum and one $10 can lasts at least 8 months for my 2 tanks. The ingredients in NLS is very good IMHO.

I buy all my fish foods in 500g or 1kg+ packs and keep them in airtight storage tubs.

Everything is cheaper when bought in bulk....from loo rolls to fish food...I have never bought anything in piddly sized packets. I think its sensible buying bulk every few months cos you never know what might happen that stops you getting provisions in.....bad weather, pandemics etc. OK so sometimes you do have to be a little creative with the storage but but bulk buying has its advantages.

not everyone needs to buy in bulk...
True!
People who have a similar situation as me, bulk packaging is useful. The majority doesn't have that many tanks.

Latest delivery of food for the hooligans just arrived....each is 500g...should keep the little darlings happy for a while ;)

IMG_20211009_111658_resized_20211009_111801538.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back