A kitty!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Here in KY, it’s legal to shoot them all year round, because they have become a nuisance. Almost shot one on last years deer hunt, but it scattered after I clicked off the safety on my rifle. :sly:
I believe it is legal year round here as well. That is so disappointing:grr:

The man we allowed to put a game camera on our property is hoping to hunt enough of them to drastically reduce the population, as they genuinely have become a problem. They howl and shriek all night, steal small pets, and mess with our outdoor dogs.
Why can't people stop invading the animal's natural habitat and learn to live with them rather than kill and destroy anything we don't like?

If you have small animals on your property, put a decent fence around your property to keep the pests out.

If you don't want wild animals coming onto your property, don't move into the bush (forest/ wilderness).

Why can't people stop invading the animal's natural habitat and learn to live with them rather than kill and destroy anything we don't like?

If you have small animals on your property, put a decent fence around your property to keep the pests out.

If you don't want wild animals coming onto your property, don't move into the bush (forest/ wilderness).
I agree that it is our responsibility, when owning any animal, to protect them and provide for them with proper housing/fencing adequate to keep them safe. It is the responsibility we take on when the animal is brought into our care, and I fully agree with you. But, when it comes to coyotes, they are invasive. They have 150 acres of untouched land all to themselves, no human interaction or invasion, and I understand that as they continue to reproduce, they will need more land and other sources of food to provide for their growing numbers. I do feel that the number of animals suffering worldwide due to habitat loss is heartbreaking. But the coyotes, around here at least, have no natural predators keeping their numbers in check because humans have cleared other animals from the area. I do feel that because we have unbalanced it and there is now nothing keeping the coyotes in check, part of making it so humans and the coyotes can live alongside eachother is humans making sure the coyote population stays balanced so that they can continue to live on the bit of land that is safe for them without the need to steal chickens and cats

Last edited:

Well, I agree in principle. It's often possible to coexist, as we do with the lions around here. Generally they leave us alone and we leave them alone. But at the same time, it isn't that simple. There aren't many fences that will keep out a coyote, let alone a grizzly bear or a pack of wolves. And a lot of livestock is on the open range and can't be fenced in anyway. I'm not for all-out extermination of predators, but sometimes, in the unnatural state of today's world, they get out of hand and need to be controlled. And unfortunately, with wild animals, "controlled" often means "killed."

As for not moving into the bush, everywhere, including Perth, used to be wilderness. There are just a whole bunch of people, and they have to live somewhere. It causes problems, sometimes. In the case of coyotes, it's them invading populated areas, rather than people moving in on them.

That's the good news, I guess: the coyotes are doing just fine, and despite attempts at all-out extermination, they have greatly expanded their range in the last few decades. That's causing problems, too, because they're moving into areas where the local fauna aren't adapted to them. But I admire them for their survival abilities and their orneriness. Coyotes feature as the clever trixter/troublemaker in the lore of most western Native tribes, with good reason. I can't help but like them. :)

...and have any of you guys ever seen a real mountain lion? They are magnificent, and near-supernatural in their ability to stay out of sight. They can take down a bull moose with a single bite to the neck, and disappear in a little patch of knee-high brush. They're pretty common around here, but in almost fifty years of wandering around the hills, I've only seen two of them, both crossing a highway.

It makes me happy knowing they're out there.

I have never seen one in real life, but my family watches a lot of nature documentaries, they are incredible creatures! I can’t imagine what would happen to come face to face with a wild one

I have never seen one in real life, but my family watches a lot of nature documentaries, they are incredible creatures! I can’t imagine what would happen to come face to face with a wild one
Most likely, it would look you over then vanish. But more likely than that, you'd never know it was there in the first place. They are very good at what they do, and mostly what they do is disappear.

Most likely, it would look you over then vanish. But more likely than that, you'd never know it was there in the first place. They are very good at what they do, and mostly what they do is disappear.
Wow! I am pretty sure cats (big cats or domestic) are just about my favorite. There is just something about them. It makes me so sad we can’t have outdoor cats because of coyotes and the cats we do have my whole family is allergic to

Our Girl
043 (2).jpg
022 (2).JPG

She is lovely! This is my boy, Albus. He likes to sit on my books while I work on school
D83D06D3-45B6-4F39-9B01-3C97A55ACC0A.jpeg
CEDBBFB8-9045-4E80-9CF5-7F7D49DA1C13.jpeg

What a beauty. She has the same coloring as our Lady, only ours is long haired. She pretty much adopted us. She was our apartments local stray, but she decided that she wanted to live with us. So I took her to the vet, got her a good check up and shots and now she stays, for the most part, in our apartment. We have 2 other cats. Nico, a long haired domestic. He's about 12 years old. We found him abandoned as a tiny kitten. And 3 years ago we got Archer. He's a Bengal. A breeder friend of mine gave him to me because he was born with a birth defect. So I hand raised him from birth. Archer is just like a mini mountain lion or bobcat. He stalks everybody in the home at some point. And we get ambushed regularly. Lol!

Most reactions

Back