A good day...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator āš’ļø
Reaction score
I'm a man of secret agendas. My wife likes exercise, just for the sake of it. I usually find an aquarium angle or fish angle to what I do.
Yesterday was a good one. In the morning, we went out kayaking on a quiet blackwater lake not far from here. I brought a net to catch Fundulus diaphanus, the barred killifish. I'd like to figure them out, and I have a spare tank set up for them. Alas, it was too windy and they'd moved from their usual sandy shallows to the deeper water weed beds. And so, I explored, paddling up a small bay and finding a stream. I had to turn around so I wouldn't cut across the lines of a group of fishermen, but the water was clear and the fishwatching good.

I probably shouldn't mention the bathtub, the tires, the wooden pallets and the other debris I drifted over in the one section you could bring a truck up to. People...

In the afternoon, I went hiking on a path that circles a sea island. I threw a sturdy bag over my shoulder, and close to where we parked the car, I gathered a good bag of granite chunks for aquascaping. Doing so is legal here, and we have rocks! Heavy rocks. very heavy rocks when you have a bag full.

Today, I'll get to enjoy the fruits of my holiday day, and plan out how to use those rocks in my tanks. After drifting over so many habitats yesterday, I have some ideas...

Is there anyone else here who profits from time spent camping, kayaking, walking, etc to get aquarium design ideas?

As a woodworker I look at trees and think about dragging them to the mill and how many board feet I might get. Lately the thoughts are more like: hardwood? - any interesting dead branches? -aquarium sized?....

I spend a lot of time outdoors too, and Iā€™m always looking for reptiles and amphibians, occasionally bringing enclosure decor home. Last week, while looking for wood turtles in northern Minnesota, I found a fantastic piece of driftwood stuck in a culvert. It looks like a dragon looking over its shoulder. Unfortunately itā€™s just slightly too big for any of my aquariums, and I donā€™t think I have it in me to cut it down, itā€™s so perfect.

I spend a lot of time outdoors too, and Iā€™m always looking for reptiles and amphibians, occasionally bringing enclosure decor home. Last week, while looking for wood turtles in northern Minnesota, I found a fantastic piece of driftwood stuck in a culvert. It looks like a dragon looking over its shoulder. Unfortunately itā€™s just slightly too big for any of my aquariums, and I donā€™t think I have it in me to cut it down, itā€™s so perfect.
Could we see a photo??? Sounds really cool

I'm a man of secret agendas. My wife likes exercise, just for the sake of it. I usually find an aquarium angle or fish angle to what I do.
Yesterday was a good one. In the morning, we went out kayaking on a quiet blackwater lake not far from here. I brought a net to catch Fundulus diaphanus, the barred killifish. I'd like to figure them out, and I have a spare tank set up for them. Alas, it was too windy and they'd moved from their usual sandy shallows to the deeper water weed beds. And so, I explored, paddling up a small bay and finding a stream. I had to turn around so I wouldn't cut across the lines of a group of fishermen, but the water was clear and the fishwatching good.

I probably shouldn't mention the bathtub, the tires, the wooden pallets and the other debris I drifted over in the one section you could bring a truck up to. People...

In the afternoon, I went hiking on a path that circles a sea island. I threw a sturdy bag over my shoulder, and close to where we parked the car, I gathered a good bag of granite chunks for aquascaping. Doing so is legal here, and we have rocks! Heavy rocks. very heavy rocks when you have a bag full.

Today, I'll get to enjoy the fruits of my holiday day, and plan out how to use those rocks in my tanks. After drifting over so many habitats yesterday, I have some ideas...

Is there anyone else here who profits from time spent camping, kayaking, walking, etc to get aquarium design ideas?
Sounds really relaxing!

Sounds like an amazing day! I've definitely had times when I've been in the woods or outdoors and thought about aquascaping. I had a rare event at the weekend where we went to an event in the park with my daughter and when we got there it said no dogs so my wife took my daughter in and I went for a walk with my dog, my dog is as lazy as me (she is basically my spirit animal) so we ended up sat under a tree for about 2 hours and it was certainly up there with the best 2 hours I've ever spent :) But the whole time I kept thinking about the landscape and admiring the details of the trees and was definitely thinking about aquascaping at the same time!

Fundulus diaphanus- the govt only seems to care abut the populations in NFLD. Can't figure that one out. Ont and Manitoba gave up?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back