A few questions about Polyps

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Eelzor

This shrimp is so good it needs to be seen in wide
Reaction score
After some research on the net for information on corals, I have found that polyps seem to definately be the hardiest coral and great for a beginner. I went to my LFS and they too recommended me polyps. However they also recommended some xenia soft coral polyps which I cannot quite remember what it was called. If anyone knows what that could be it would be greatly appreciated. Nevertheless, here are my questions.

1. Are these zooanthids or related to them in some poisonous way? :unsure:

2. LiveAquaria states that polyps benefit from "iodine and trace elements", what do they mean by this? And how does one do this?

3. How must Polyps be fed?

4. Do polyps require a very steady temperature/salinity? Or are they hardy enough to withstand just a little fluctuation if it ever occured? (Not that my tank has fluctuating parameters :D )

I will try to get the names of the corals at the store for further help.

Tnx, :flex:

Zoos are a type of polyp, so are xenia,

You add little solutions of specific Ions to replace what your polyp pulls from the water,

Small foods like pods and invert foods, and light

how big a fluctuation are we talking about here?

Opcn said:
how big a fluctuation are we talking about here?
Well in salinity, maybe just 0.001 sg level.

With temperature - That might change on a hot day only but it would be slowly. Example on a normal day my tank temp might be 79F, but on a warm day it may rise to 82F. Will it affect the polyps?

Im sorry eelzor but what kind of polyps are we talking about here? "polyps" is a very broad termination considering almost every single coral in the ocean has polyps of some description.

If you are taling about Zooanthids then according you your earlier question.. Yes they are extremly poisonous... dwadly in fact but this is only the case if you allos teheir mnusuc to get into your bloodstream. the poison cannot enter through the skin and thus they are safe to handle as long as you wash your hands afterwards. DO remember not to handle them of course if you have cuts or open wounds on the skin.
I have a collection of zoos and never yet had any problems with them.
Iodine is good as an additive but good regualr water changes will do the same job if you only have a small number of corals.

Hi Nav, :)

I was talking mainly about some of the xenia polyps (thats the best I can remember). I really am quite unsure of the names. :/ However I can describe the other one. (Describing on of the circles) - It had brown frills and a greenish centre but there was a brown dot in the centre. The Xenia's were more like tiny brown trees on a live rock. From my vague memory. I will get the names jotted down once I get them from the LFS.

Ez, :thumbs:

By the way, on the subject of corals - how does mushrooms fair in terms of nitrates and temperature. Are they hardy?

Poly corals, in the US atleast, useually reffers to a hard coral that doesn't build up off the rock but simply spreads like a patch of grass accross the rock, layting down a little bit of a substrait to support itself but mostly sticking to the existing terain

Eelzor,
I have been following this thread (and others that you have posted on other forums) and i must say i really dont understand why you are not following advise given to you.

Im sorry, i dont mean to be rude or have a dig at you but i feel i must address this situation. :/

You have a 5 gallon tank (which in UK gallons is 4.16)
You said fro the start that you only wanted an "invert tank" and this meant NO corals just 1 tiny fish perhaps and snails/crabs. OK this was probably the most you could stretch the system and with your own addmission that the temperature in your house flucuated enormously then 5 gallons is a dangerous amont to play with.

Then after the liverock had cycled, you find you have a Mantis shrimp. This is ok, with a tank this size it makes a perfect environment for a mantis, as you were not adding fish then it wasnt an issue with perhaps ommiting the cleanup crew. You said personally to me that yo fell in love with the mantis and would not part with it now at all. The next thing i see is that you are trying to get a friend to take the shrimp.. now i read that you are doinbg freshwater dips on the liverock and killing everything on it just to remove the mantis! Am i to beleive also that the mantis is now killed?
I also see that you have 2 clowns but you added another because you were not happy with the looks of one? Did you not check the shape or markings of this fish before it left the shop?

Against all advise given my myself and a huge number og people on livechat and in other forums you went and got a dancing shrimp (Camel back) because in you very own words (i dont want real corals so its not going to do any harm) Within 1 week of you getting this shrimp you are adding zooanthids and other soft polyps to your tank.

I know you are young and you have asked many many questions regarding the setup and running of your tank yet if you continue to ignore the advise of themembers here and other forums then you are going to run into trouble. 4 Gallons is simply too small for the 2 clowns you have and adding corals with a potentially coral munching shrimp makes me wonder why you even asked for advise in the first place. You use the argument that the prices of shrimps and other related creatures in australia are vastly expensive ($134 Australian dollars for a cleaner shimp? perhaps a fellow australian can verify this) but cutting costs and corners will not make a successfuly marine setup unless you listen to the advise of those that have already done this.

Im sorry if you feel that i am having a dig at you, its really not my intention but someone has to make you see that you are ignoring advise of others and blantantly putting livestock in risky situations if not dangerous conditions. :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back