A Dwarf Gourami variety

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sinuhe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
After looking at Dwarf Gourami varieties online, it seems to me like the ones called Flame and Sunset look exactly the same: orange body, a neon blue dorsal fin (for males). Is it just 2 names for the same fish, or is there a difference?

But I believe the Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami is of a different color, right?

A lot of the time they try to sell honey gouramis as sunset or flame dwarf gouramis. If its a sunset or flame dwarf they are just inbred genetic mutations and are very prone to disease and tumors. Its very sad. :-(

I think the one I have is a genuine flame/sunset Dwarf Gourami, I know what Honey Gouramis look like. I've had him in a QT tank for a week now, and he seems fine so far :).

Sinuhe said:
After looking at Dwarf Gourami varieties online, it seems to me like the ones called Flame and Sunset look exactly the same: orange body, a neon blue dorsal fin (for males). Is it just 2 names for the same fish, or is there a difference?
i think they are the same! maybe not b/c i might go to petsmart today sooo i will look!

well i think i have a flame dworf gourami and i also have a neon dworf gourami!! :D

Guppy...that's the first I've ever heard of flame gouramis being inbread creations prone to disease :dunno:

Can you provide a link or some background? thanks

FanOFish said:
Guppy...that's the first I've ever heard of flame gouramis being inbread creations prone to disease :dunno:

Can you provide a link or some background? thanks
Me or Guppymonky?

The sunset gourami you mentioned above is actually a Sunset Thick Lipped Gourami and is a dwarf variety which IMHO is extremely beautiful. It's colors remind me of autumn leaves. :D

They are not a commonly found gourami. If I am ever lucky enough to find them again I will surely buy a pair. (Yes, unlike many dwarf varieties, they do come in pairs.)

Most reactions

Back