A Dwarf Gourami Mini F A Q

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hi SunnySeth :)

I'll let someone else answer your euthanasia question, but I do want to explain something about your other fish.

The fish in the picture is not a Corydoras at all, it's a Brochis splendins:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=114

They are related to corys, and are often sold as emerald green corys, but they are larger. Like corys, they are schooling fish and need companions of the same species. Please try to get at least one more of them.

I'll let someone else answer your euthanasia question, but I do want to explain something about your other fish.

The fish in the picture is not a Corydoras at all, it's a Brochis splendins:

[URL="http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=114"]http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=114[/URL]

They are related to corys, and are often sold as emerald green corys, but they are larger. Like corys, they are schooling fish and need companions of the same species. Please try to get at least one more of them.

thats really cool, i wouldnt've guessed (though i did think about the fact that Tyrone is bigger than other cory's lol)... anywho... so i plan to take the dwarf gouramis back, for one, because im a paranoid person, and now it just seems like its a waiting game to see them die... not cool... and two, Fire (the flame one) wont let the bronchis get anything to eat, whether it be fallen flakes, or sinking tablets, Fire always pushes him away... so someone told me i could put a couple bosemani rainbows in, but its only 10 gallons... so i think not... can you name any hardy yet pretty fish that can go in a 10 gallon as a pair with three bronchis splendins? i like noticable, and large side area (such as the bosemanis, gouramis etc.)

please answer -_- i wanna get something tomorrow... and nobody has been answering tha question

Honestly, I'm not certain that even the brochis should be in a 10g long term. They get surprisingly large...

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything to suggest that wouldn't beat up your current fish. (sorry, cichlids on the brain!) I just wanted to let you know for future reference that posting in these pinned topics isn't generally a very fast way to get an answer to questions. It's generally much better to start your own topic and just mention that your concerns stem from the information in the pin.

That being said, thanks for taking the time to read the pinned topics! :)

Honestly, I'm not certain that even the brochis should be in a 10g long term. They get surprisingly large...

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything to suggest that wouldn't beat up your current fish. (sorry, cichlids on the brain!) I just wanted to let you know for future reference that posting in these pinned topics isn't generally a very fast way to get an answer to questions. It's generally much better to start your own topic and just mention that your concerns stem from the information in the pin.

That being said, thanks for taking the time to read the pinned topics! :)

hmm... ok... but i read that the brochis splendens only gets to about 3.1 inches... i figured like two of thems little dudes would do fine... and im not saying that il never upgrage, il just see where things go from here... but im thinking il probably just get some like white skirt tetra... or some other tetra to replace the gouramis

While it's true, they are the smallest of the Brochis, they are still considerably larger than any of the corydoras. This is because they stand considerably higher and are much wider. Three inches of brochis is much more fish than three inches of cory cat.

Here's a picture of my B. multiradiatus with some C. narcissus, which is one of the larger corys:

10-15-07CnarcissusBmultiradiatus.jpg

10-15-07CnarcissusBmultiradiatus4.jpg

Even small corys can swim fast and enjoy room to play. If you were to upgrade in the future, these playful fellows would be very, very happy with the space.

While it's true, they are the smallest of the Brochis, they are still considerably larger than any of the corydoras. This is because they stand considerably higher and are much wider. Three inches of brochis is much more fish than three inches of cory cat.

Here's a picture of my B. multiradiatus with some C. narcissus, which is one of the larger corys:

10-15-07CnarcissusBmultiradiatus.jpg

10-15-07CnarcissusBmultiradiatus4.jpg

Even small corys can swim fast and enjoy room to play. If you were to upgrade in the future, these playful fellows would be very, very happy with the space.

ok, well i just got done with my second interview and online survey for a managerial position at Claire's... so if all goes well (and im praying it does, so everybody wish me luck), then in a few months il upgrade to a 29g (then i can get a gold and blue gourami, i love gouramis, just dont like the dwarf diseas thing... so i cant keep mine)

Btw inch, your babies are really pretty, i love the light bringing out the gold emerald

Great article nmonks helpful, thanks

Also some of the replies were helpful

great info! i love my dwarf and powder blue they are so beautiful.. thanks for the information!

here's my dwarf gourami.. his name is hershey

DSC00054.jpg

Awesome thread and info :D

I recently went back to our lfs because I came across the dwarf flame gourami's and fell in love with them. had them three days now and they are getting more interactive and friendly with me every day :D They have the tank all to themselves and their tank sits next to our albino catfish's tank so they always swim up and say hi.

I havent got a decent pic yet but i found this one and it shows how gorgeous they are...

flameG.gif

Can someone tell me the growth size they get to please?

I've had mine for about 8 months and they are still the same size as when I bought them from the store. Mine are about 1 1/2" long. I love mine too. They are absolute doll babies.

Here's my twins

IMG_0140.jpg

I have had a Dwarf Gourami for nearly a year now with no problems what so ever. I did have a pair but i seperated the aggresive one and donated it back to the shop. Since then i have been meaning to get another dwarf to keep it company.

I recently transfered the dwarf from my small tank to my large tank and my god its alot happier. I have 2 Pearl Gourami in there and the dwarf seems to like to follow them around.

thanks for the article. i've found it very informative.
i love dwarf gouramis (sorry but can't say the same about regular sized ones, just like the different body style of the dwarfs) and have had two regular dwarf, two powder blues, two flames and a honey sunset. only the honey sunset has survived the rest, and one of the two flames because i just got him 5 days ago.
i haven't kept females yet, but my males seem to always bully one another.
i started with a powder blue and a regular dwarf, and after what i guess was the initial pecking order fights, they got along famously. then i fell in love with this guy
wolfgang.jpg

and added him to the tank. soon after that my dwarf started acting lethargic and died. couple of weeks after the powder bloo exhibited the same behavior and passed away.
we just thought it was directly related to the aggression of the newly introduced flame, and never considered the bacterial infection thing...
could it have been that? or was it indeed the flame coming into the tank and bullying them both to death?
then i got another dwarf and another powder blue, together with the flame, and the dwarf died quickly after introduction, although i am 90% sure he had some sort of disease, as he wasnt eating and was rail thin.
surprise this time, however, was that the powder blue survived and the original "killer" flame died.
then after the powder blue was alone for about a month...without another dwarf to bully him, he died too...

soo i haven't had much luck with dwarfs. i really love them, so i went and got another flame...he's doing fine for now but then again he's only been in the tank for 5 days.

what weirds me out though, is that at some point in time i bought a very small honey sunset, who's stayed small until now, and with all these dying and bullying of the other dwarfs, he's never been bitten, bullied, bothered, or anything! he's the only one who's done great since i put him in...how come the other dwarfs fight one another but not the honey sunset?

i apologize for the length of my post, just got a lot to say! any help to any of my many questions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Hi everyone, I am new to tropical fish.

I cycled my tank (fishless cycle) and 3 weeks ago i added my fish, 6 pristilla tetras and 3 red honey gouramis (1 male and 2 females) I have a juwel rekord 96. The male was always very friendly with one of the females and used to chase her round the tank, but 2 days ago she died. the male is now after the other remaining female so i will be re-homing him tomorrow. This is will leave 1 female. is it best to get her another female friend or will she be ok by herself.

I am so upset about the female and having to re-home the male I thought they where peaceful fish but I suppose I've just been unlucky.

hi, neale. thanks for the info.

can i keep drawf gouramis with red honey gouramis?

thanks in advance.

jowee

Hi. About a year and a half ago now i had my first setup, and about a month before all the fish died i got 2 dwarf gorami, they both died whithin 2 weeks and ther rest of the fish in my tank quickly followed suit, i has bristtlenose catfish, tiger barbs, paltys and neon tetras, is it possible that this fish TB is what killed all my fish? Also i have recently cleaned out the tank and stuff and set it up agin, but i have got 2 dwarf gorami again, i also have 2 japonica shrimp and a banjo catfish, is it possible that what happened before could happen again? And if so what is the best thing to do?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back