April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lilhurleybunny

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Swimmin around in the Chesapeake Bay ;) in Marylan
Hola! ;)

I bought a new guppy thursday and he has a red tail. So does the guppy I had before I bought this new one and something I noticed on my older one was that the tip of his tail was black (not like..AHH MIDNIGHT BLACK!..but definetly a reddish gray :huh: ).

With this in mind I kept an eye on my new little buddy and tonight after doing a water change I looked at his tail and it's tip is starting to turn dark too! :eek:

What is going on?!?!?! :unsure:
Help is greatly appreciated :D

Thanks ^_^

I have a young male that started out with a completely orange tail, it now has a reddish orange center and changes regularly from being surrounded by light clearish gray to deep black, depending on his mood. He's my little moodfish.... can't wear him on my finger though.. :sad:

:rofl:

Its posible its a desease of some sort although if he was young/around half grown when you bought him he may still be growing his colors; when fry are born they tend to quite bland in color but as they mature their colors intensify and may become metallic looking.
Also he may have simply been not in the best of health when you got him and as his condition has improved his colors may have just come out more as he became healthier; I bought a male guppy recently(well about a month ago) who was suffering from finrot. As i cured him of his finrot and improved his diet his colors have realy come out; when i first got him he was a mostly grey with light blue shading but now he is a deep turquoise blue with green metallic sheen :wub:

My guess is he's a youngin'. We just had our first fry of guppies two weeks ago, and some of them look new born still basically an undeveloped tail (not unlike sperm) and completely colourless. Some of them have developed more tail and colours. I believe this goes on for months. If it's a colour thing don't be too concerned, especially if he appears healthy and happy. Give it some time and he might get prettier, some of the guppies we've kept have been multi coloured on the tail and better for it. :nod:

cheers, Xanthia

Hey Lilhurleybunny! Is the guppy the one in your avatar? I'd agree, I think it was just his colours developing! :D

Thanks for your responses guys! Yes, Nuttygal it looks like the one in my icon! :D I'm glad to hear that this doesn't appear to be anything serious! My fish have all their color but it just worried me that it was getting darker -_- .

Thanks again! I'll keep an eye on him with a less negative approach! ^_^

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back