A Couple Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bluesand1313

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
598369_550189761711121_1430993736_n.jpg

Got Wendigo a new tank yesterday! It's a 10gal, and I know it doesn't have much in it. That's because the ornaments that are going to go in it are currently in'Quarantine' until the snail eggs dry up and die. I don't want snails! (Except for Jolly Roger, who's my mystery snail).

That out of the way... Wendigo doesn't seem to be enjoying the tank. He seems depressed, almost. My oto's like it, and my snail likes it, so why doesn't Wendigo? Is it too big for him or something?
Also he has these little 'spaz' attacks, where he'll just be swimming and he randomly twitches violently and then goes on swimming like nothing happened. What's going on?

My guess is that he needs time to adjust to his new surroundings. Yeah, the tank is pretty bare, and he may not be feeling very secure in it. That little decoration piece to the left, can he hide inside of it? If not, can you add a little terracotta pot or maybe a mug or something along those lines for him to hide in? Other than that what could also help is adding a few plants for him to swim through and hide in! :)

One more thought, have you checked the water if all the readings are in the normal ranges?

No I have not yet (Ah I know, not good.) But I shall very soon! Maybe in an hour or so because just got back from a hike and really exhausted!

As soon as the eggs are dry and dead (which should be tomorrow) I'll put them in and he'll have LOTS of places to hide in!
And yes, he can hide in the barrels. Sorry it's a little hard to see, it was sunny out and the reflection was horrendous.

It almost looks like he has a large armchair inside the tank to rest in :).

If he seemed happy in his old tank, and the water params and requirements are met in this tank, he should adapt. As Meer said, he may just need time to adapt. That last tank was his! His property! Now he's been booted into some foreign land full of things he doesn't know. It took me a while to adapt when I moved from the UK to the USA, I don't see why it would be any different for a fish :).

Thank you for the answers. c: I've put in his old ornaments now and he's perked right up! He's eating again (He wasn't before, forgot to mention) and so I think he's starting to warm up to it!

Also, any answers for his odd 'spaz attacks' he has?

Mine does that sometimes, and I've had him for a couple of months. Most of the time he's pretty chill, but now and then he'll dart about or even just "twitch", like you said. Just keep an eye on him - so long as he's eating, like you say, and is somewhat active and curious, he should be fine.

I have no idea what that twitching could be. Never seen it (yet) personally, lol. If I were to guess maybe just a sign of insecurity? Stress? 
blink.png

No, I don't think it's that, only because he did it in his 5gal, too. And he was perfectly fine there.

I'll try to get it on tape or something. It's really strange. I'll try to describe it better in the meantime with my 'writer skills'.

Wendigo will just be swimming along like any other day, looking around and puffing at Jolly Roger. But suddenly, out of the blue, he has these three massive twitches that last about a nano-second each, summing up to one second in all. Then, he just goes on swimming, like nothing happened. Happily looking around, pecking at the gravel, puffing at the oto fish.

It's strange and I'd just like to find out what it is and not worry he's having little seizures or something ._.

Seizures are possible but highly unlikely.  I would be more likely to think parasites before seizures personally.   Capturing it on video would be a good thing so we can see how it looks.  It might something as simple as how he personally swims.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back