A Couple of Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hi all-
So first, I still have a snail problem despite me trying to poison them all. I think I'm going to call these cockroach snails; they won't leave my tank! Any suggestions?

View attachment 93959
I had a very severe pesty snail problem in my 75 gallon heavily planted tank. Almost every leaf, my substrate and glass were covered. I no longer can see them!! It took about three /four weeks of placing a small 10 oz. plastic juice bottle (very firm plastic), punched with couple dozen holes (used nail and hammer). I placed a cucumber slice inside and a couple stones to hold it down. Every day I emptied 100's of snails from the bottle. Unbelieveable! I continued daily until I had no more visible snails. It has been two months. I cut back feeding. I have not noticed any snails. It worked!!! P.S. Make sure you put the lid on the bottle. I lost an albino cory who wanted cucumber! The snails can fit through a nail hole, just fine!

Agreed--don't go with poison.

I've had pretty good luck with assassin snails. They won't take down mystery snails IME, but they definitely do a job on pond snails. Besides trapping them and cutting down food, as Lucy and others suggested, loaches can do it. I don't know how big your tank is (pardon me if you already said), but if you have a friend with a healthy tank that would lend you a couple dojo loaches or pretty much any of the mid-sized botia loaches, they'll clear it up in a hurry. Introducing temporary fish to clear up a problem is always risky, of course, but it's an option.

Or just learn to live with them...

With regard to the fry, can you have someone feed them once per day? That's what I do. Neighbors come, bring in the mail, feed the cats & the fish :) I use Liquifry, so it's quite easy to give the neighbor instructions on how to feed them.

As for the snails, I think they help the tank environment. They usually find their own sort of equilibrium in terms of how many there are. In one of our tanks, I had to do some culling, but there are naturally very few in there now, and I haven't had to remove any for more than a year.

Hi all-
So first, I still have a snail problem despite me trying to poison them all. I think I'm going to call these cockroach snails; they won't leave my tank! Any suggestions?

Second, I am going on vacation for 4 days next week and was wondering what to do as far as food and lighting goes for my two tanks.

Third, here is a pic of my tank. I was just looking for any tips or suggestions; I'm still rather new to live plants. Thank you!
View attachment 93959
Hi all-

Second, I am going on vacation for 4 days next week and was wondering what to do as far as food and lighting goes for my two tanks.

Third, here is a pic of my tank. I was just looking for any tips or suggestions; I'm still rather new to live plants. Thank you!
View attachment 93959
You are feeding them to much. Lay off so much food and they'll disappear.

I had a very severe pesty snail problem in my 75 gallon heavily planted tank. Almost every leaf, my substrate and glass were covered. I no longer can see them!! It took about three /four weeks of placing a small 10 oz. plastic juice bottle (very firm plastic), punched with couple dozen holes (used nail and hammer). I placed a cucumber slice inside and a couple stones to hold it down. Every day I emptied 100's of snails from the bottle. Unbelieveable! I continued daily until I had no more visible snails. It has been two months. I cut back feeding. I have not noticed any snails. It worked!!! P.S. Make sure you put the lid on the bottle. I lost an albino cory who wanted cucumber! The snails can fit through a nail hole, just fine!

Agreed--don't go with poison.

I've had pretty good luck with assassin snails. They won't take down mystery snails IME, but they definitely do a job on pond snails. Besides trapping them and cutting down food, as Lucy and others suggested, loaches can do it. I don't know how big your tank is (pardon me if you already said), but if you have a friend with a healthy tank that would lend you a couple dojo loaches or pretty much any of the mid-sized botia loaches, they'll clear it up in a hurry. Introducing temporary fish to clear up a problem is always risky, of course, but it's an option.

Or just learn to live with them...

Thank you. I'm going to try the bait-bottle first. My tank is a 30 gallon, which I thought was kind of small for loaches otherwise I would have done clown loaches.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back