A Couple of Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all-
So first, I still have a snail problem despite me trying to poison them all. I think I'm going to call these cockroach snails; they won't leave my tank! Any suggestions?

Second, I am going on vacation for 4 days next week and was wondering what to do as far as food and lighting goes for my two tanks.

Third, here is a pic of my tank. I was just looking for any tips or suggestions; I'm still rather new to live plants. Thank you!
Tank 2019.JPG

Attachments

• Tank 2019 2.JPG
    Tank 2019 2.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Fish will be just fine for four days... feed just before you leave..no need to overfeed if only gone 4 days....your lighting should be on a timer so it goes on and off at the same times every day...

Fish will be just fine for four days... feed just before you leave..no need to overfeed if only gone 4 days....your lighting should be on a timer so it goes on and off at the same times every day...
I have 40+ baby guppies in my ten gallon tank. They get fed 5-8 times a day. What about them? You're sure I'm not starving the others?

You won't be starving the others but fry is another story. I believe they may not do well without feeding for 4 days...but I would wait for more experienced members who are familiar with fry needs....

The fry will need to be fed. Do you have someone that could come in several times a day?

How old are the guppy fry?
Put lots of plants in their tank and have the lights on for 16 hours a day. Let the water turn to green soup or let algae grow on the glass and the fry will live on that for 4 days.

I concur with all of the above. Yes, you will have to feed them, and no, they probably will not starve, as long as they have algae to feed on. The other fish will be fine, as long as the feed them before you leave, as @Fishmanic pointed out. Good luck! ;)

So first, I still have a snail problem despite me trying to poison them all. I think I'm going to call these cockroach snails; they won't leave my tank! Any suggestions?

Other members answered the feeding/vacation question, but not this one, so I will.

You will never get rid of all of the snails (without causing serious harm to the fish and biological system if you use any chemical concoction) unless you somehow manage to kill all and the egg masses. Any substance that allegedly will kill snails should absolutely never be added to an aquarium with live fish, as it gets inside them and this is never good whether or not they manage to "live" through it.

Snails are beneficial, and your best friend in any aquarium. They will reproduce according to the food, so the more there are, the more organics there must be to nourish them. They eat all organic matter, including fish excrement, breaking it down faster for the bacteria to then deal with; this is good. But the number also shows the high level of organics. "Food" for snails is more than just excess fish food, though obviously they will feed on that too. It may indicate other issues, such as too many fish, too large sized fish, too much feeding, insufficient water changes and filter cleaning, etc.

In other words, the snails are at the numbers they are because they are finding plenty of food, which usually but not always suggests one of the afore-mentioned.

Other members answered the feeding/vacation question, but not this one, so I will.

You will never get rid of all of the snails (without causing serious harm to the fish and biological system if you use any chemical concoction) unless you somehow manage to kill all and the egg masses. Any substance that allegedly will kill snails should absolutely never be added to an aquarium with live fish, as it gets inside them and this is never good whether or not they manage to "live" through it.

Snails are beneficial, and your best friend in any aquarium. They will reproduce according to the food, so the more there are, the more organics there must be to nourish them. They eat all organic matter, including fish excrement, breaking it down faster for the bacteria to then deal with; this is good. But the number also shows the high level of organics. "Food" for snails is more than just excess fish food, though obviously they will feed on that too. It may indicate other issues, such as too many fish, too large sized fish, too much feeding, insufficient water changes and filter cleaning, etc.

In other words, the snails are at the numbers they are because they are finding plenty of food, which usually but not always suggests one of the afore-mentioned.
Da pro has spoken! :big_boss:

Never had them, but out of interest, are assassin snails an option?

Never had them, but out of interest, are assassin snails an option?

These sometimes prey on smaller snails, but snails are still snails and the issue remains. Also, assasin snails are not permitted in some places, like certain states (if not federally) in the US because they get into the natural ecosystem and kill off the natural snails. This is another case where the cure is worse than the issue.

These sometimes prey on smaller snails, but snails are still snails and the issue remains. Also, assasin snails are not permitted in some places, like certain states (if not federally) in the US because they get into the natural ecosystem and kill off the natural snails. This is another case where the cure is worse than the issue.
Makes sense. Thank you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back