A Co2 Tragedy!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CarbonDreams

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, I have had a 20 gallon long heavily planted tank that has been set up for the past few months. It had a school of bloodfin tetras in it along with a female swordtail, a dwarf gourami and 4 ottos.

This morning the power went out and so did the lights and filtration. I was injecting pressurized Co2 that was not dependant on the power. I came home this evening to a horror scene. EVERY fish was belly up. I thought they were all dead, but I found three bloodfins that are showing SOME signs of life. I transferred them to a hospital tank to see if they will revive. Two of them are actually swimming around but they are weak and disoriented and im not sure they will make it through the night. I am DEVISTATED. I have had them for over a year and never had any problems. Does anyone know of this happening before?

I've never seen fish death on this scale before. It even killed the shrimp! Everything but the plants are dead. What would everyone recommend to get the tank up and running again as soon as possible? When would it be safe to add more fish? The PH of the tank when I tested it was off the scale. It was below 6.0

If I add an airstone to agitate the surface and dissipate the co2 would it be safe to add more fish in a day or so?

Im really sorry to hear that!

Looks like the CO2 overflowed.

switch off the CO2, do a major waterchange, 50%

Then test, hopefully the pH will be in the 6's, if not do another.

You need too add fish ASAP or your bacterial colony will be gone. Just make sure the pH is stable and at the right rate before going out to buy!

Good luck :)

I wouldn't add fish myself until you are happy the water conditions are stable. I would do a big water change, and add something like cycle to kick off the bacterial colony in the filter again.

Thanks guys, I will do a waterchange. does anyone know if co2 poisoning is reversable, or are my last few little guys doomed? :-(

Adding ammonia or an ammonia source (flake food or whatever) should be good enough to keep your benefitical bacteria colony going. As long as the pH is back to normal, I think all should be well. Get an airpump and some airstones to agitate the water, and do a large water change. I think putting the fish in water from your tap or whatever is a bad idea, as it has no benefitical bacteria (unless your hospital tank is cycled). Good luck, and hope things turn out alright soon.

well good news, the three bloodfins are alive and kickin! this morning when I checked on them, they frankly look back to normal. when I went to bed last night I thouht that at least one of them was done for, but they are all swimming well and are active. Im going to do a preventive dose of ick medication to be on the safe side though. These guys are really hardy. Thanks again for all the help.

Glad to hear they pulled through :) the ich medication sounds like a good idea too.

Glad some survived mate. I wouldnt medicated for ICH unless you can see it, otherwise you'll be putting the fish under more stress by medicating (which i've read lowers oxygen levels) without a need to.

A general tonic like melafix, or indian almond leaves (if you can get your hands on it) might be useful. But not ich med, not imo anyway.

P.T.

No way! dont add medication unless your completely sure there is a disease.

Just out of interest, why not?

Adding meds can and generally does lower the oxygen levels of the water.. or so i've been told, as its recomended to add an airstone to increase surface movement to get more oxygen back into the water whilst medicating it.
Plus it can be stressful for the fish, plus to use an analogy.. if you thought you might be ill you wouldnt go take an anti-biotic without thinking, you'd wait for signs of a problem then take the medication.

Most reactions

Back