A Cichlid With Personality.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jonny_dw

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Im looking for a cichlid with personality, tank size isnt really an issue, just not too sure what to go for. Obviously all fish have their own different temperments but generally what species tends to have good personality on a whole?

People tend to say Red Devils have the best personality's....also Butterkoferi,Oscars,Green Terrors,Texas....tons more, depends what you liek really.

I loved my Sevs but they never come across as personable as say a more aggressive type of large Cichlid.

I would have to say just about all cichlids have personality. Thats why we love them so. I really enjoy my Electric blue Jack dempsey. For small fish my bolviana rams are really fun. Severum can be awesome too. Just to name a few.

I have servs, firemouth, elliotti and some texas but I hate to admit I find the texas so adorable and funny, my 4 larger ones feed from my hand and are always first to the glass when you go to the tank. Shame I have to get rid of mine :-(.

I friend of mine had an oscar which I thought had a big personality too, shame it killed everything else in the tank though. (friend hadnt a clue!)

hmm I am looking for something that can easily be taught to handfeed. I guess its between oscar, red devil, texas and JD.

Or a flowerhorn?arguably by far the best IMHO,and many others as well :good:

Just showed the girlfriend a picture and she wasnt very keen lol.I think its either going to be oscar, green terror or JD. I have heard JD's can tend to be rather shy -_-

hmm I am looking for something that can easily be taught to handfeed. I guess its between oscar, red devil, texas and JD.

IME most JDs aren't bold enough to be taught to hand feed, I find they are a species that slinks around in the background and prefer to hide away,

A few other ideas are Midas, Synspilum, Flowerhorn, Jaguar, Dovii, Festae,

If it was me I'd go with a Male Festae

Don't rule out Green Terrors...they are pretty good :D i love them as you probably noticed :p

jonny dw,you and your girlfriend look for images of a zz flowerhorn.If your not a fan of the head hump[kok]You'll find the zz is a really nice looking fish,closely resembling it's half bloodline the trimac.It doesn't have the huge kok.I think you may like it

Love my Red Devil

mind you the little so 'n' so bit me the other day when I was cleaning his tank.......

Depending on the size of tank and whether they will be kept solo or not, Parachromis and Amphilophus are good species for wet pet traits. One fish I'd like to keep would be a true Trimac (not flowerhorn), oh yeah, and an Odo would be awesome.

If you are interested in the Texas I do have some for sale.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=307669 I am in Birmingham my larger ones (approx 4"+) are already starting to hand feed, they are very bold. Or I have some smaller ones, you could bring on yourself.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back