A brew to aid novices in killing more fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Don't think I'll be giving it a try! :hmm:

You can't beat the tried and trusted ways.

Problem is too many people don't have the patience. Pity.

I believe this one slightly more than the others since it mentions shelf life and keeping it refrigerated. But the best brew is still patience.

Interesting that they are using nitrospira and not nitrobacter bacteria.

:( I've clicked on the link and get a blank page,but I'll try later.
I'm assuming this is some sort of maturation? fluid, maybe not, but following the last thread on these substances, I found this in the latest PFK magazine.
Which Bacteria?
For decades, most books,magazines and manufacturers have claimed that the main bacteria responsible for nitrification in aquaria are Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter However research by Hovanec and collegues dispute this, claiming that although Nitrobacter is present, it's a different bacteria called Nitrospira that does the work of converting nitrite to nitrate.
The research also found that Nitrosomonas winogradsky and N. europea which are often added to maturation treatments aren't the main nitrifiers in freshwater either.
In experiments using maturation treatments they found they only had a minor improvement upon increasing the speed of the overall maturation process.
The research suggests this is because most maturation treatments are actually based on the wrong types of bacteria.
It proposed that these additives might introduce vitamins and other nutrients that could be responsible for the slight improvement shown.

Most everyone thought these treatments were a waste of money, maybe this research proves the point??  :p  Mac.

Well lets hope this Bacteria, Nitrospira is a improvement. If it is it could help speed up the Fishless cycle by maybe a week.

:(  Just got the page to load, could have saved a lot of time not typing all the stuff above. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  Mac.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back