A Breed Of Goat That Actually Faints When Startled

I just feel sorry for the poor things, seen a video many years ago and just couldn't believe it was a normal reaction. It isn't really, it's a genetic disorder (myotonia congenita) that causes them to freeze when startled. Rumour goes (whether true or not I don't know) that when this genetic disorder was first discovered in barn animals (it's supposedly a domestic goats only things) the owners choose to breed the animals to create a new type of goat now called the 'fainting goat'. Purpose of this was that you could stick a few in your herd and when a predator showed up they would freeze and therefore be the easy target ... losing the goat with myotonia, but saving the rest of the herd.

Have a read through the wiki link: Fainting Goat

There was an episode of Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel a few months ago about the goats. It was really odd to see them go stiff and just fall over. I don't think it's right to purposely breed them for use as an easy target, but it is an interesting disorder.

It is 100% true. I can't remember where i saw it, might of been on a 'jackass' programe. They all ran into a field of these goats startling them, which made them all fall over. Then the goats would get up as soon as they hit the floor. Very weird.

Definitely true, saw a program about this years ago, poor little things :)

They are so cool. I saw something on animal planet a while ago! :D

I don't think it's right to purposely breed them for use as an easy target, but it is an interesting disorder.

Well, cows are bred to be eaten by people, as are chickens and pigs, so it really isn't different for these goats to be bred to save the herd. At least they don't die in vain.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back