90L Planted Adventure

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Think I have my final design now I have started to plant it up got the fertiliser in and a sand bed on top once all plants have grown most of the sand will be covered apart rom the middle section..

Let me know what you think and input welcome.

0474b3bab1bd559767476e818f5601c2_zpsaa058e82.jpg

0b9e410bed653ec7763b7b03d18a3b7a_zpsfcf7d7db.jpg

ef6944224715e54231dda97be45e127a_zps6dad249b.jpg

1a960662864ff91045bcf3f4e95be9ef_zpsa6e06098.jpg

Looks great so far! I will be eagerly awaiting the next update.

Nice! Im just worried about the centre portion of the tank.. Hopefully it wont be submerged! Depending on the fishes you are getting.. *fingers crossed*

i like the stream down the middle a nice touch.  The small pebbles of different colors really make it look like a river bed.  They will hopefully have an easier time staying put as was brought up earlier with the sand. bit of a side note but i agree with aquapit about the neons bump it up to 10.  They should be more confident that way. really cool fish especially when you get to see them in huge schools.  

Looks great so far!!  If I could make a suggestion...perhaps you could "bend" the river bed as you get towards the back of the tank.  Maybe be bend it so that it curves left (when facing the tank) behind the two large rocks.  I think this would give it a more natural look.  If you prefer to keep the straight line then maybe you can make it wider in the front and more narrow it gets to the back...this would give the perception of depth.  Just a few thoughts anyway....it does look great as is!  I'm a follower! 

^^^^ That is a great idea. And glad you went with the gravel, should stay in place much better than the sand.

I love this. Any idea on what stocking will be?

After the cycle, of course

Thanks for all the input guys. I have it filled must have been the slowest fill up in history as I didn't want to disturb anything. Pics will follow there's still some bits to play around with and get my river in the middle more defined and curved.

EllieJellyEllie said:
^^^^ That is a great idea. And glad you went with the gravel, should stay in place much better than the sand.

I love this. Any idea on what stocking will be?
After the cycle, of course
Thanks for the heads up on the gravel definatly a good idea and it sets it off better I think.
As for stocking and cycling I hD two tropical tanks already setup so I transfers all that water into the new one plus all the plants and sand was used from the old tanks the only thing that was new was the substrate so I could transfer in all over. In an Ideal world I would have let it cycle but as normal the boss has the final say and I couldnt leave 3 tanks in my sons room.

Not sure on the stocking yet it's not entirely up to me my boy will have a big say in that.. As it stands I have 4 guppies 2 danios 10 neons and a rainbow shark. The guppies and danios will be rehoused to a friends tank. I love the look of neons in a shoal. And the rainbow shark well I had to let my boy have a shark.
Any ideas on what else I could get?

Rak9378 said:
Looks great so far!!  If I could make a suggestion...perhaps you could "bend" the river bed as you get towards the back of the tank.  Maybe be bend it so that it curves left (when facing the tank) behind the two large rocks.  I think this would give it a more natural look.  If you prefer to keep the straight line then maybe you can make it wider in the front and more narrow it gets to the back...this would give the perception of depth.  Just a few thoughts anyway....it does look great as is!  I'm a follower!
You certainly can make a suggestion and one I have taken on board I have added some more to the front to make it wider and started to bend it round originally I had a bend it it but as I added the stones I kind of lost it.

The pictures are not very clear crap camera and the water is a bit dirty. But all in all it has stayed together .
Since these pics I have widened the stones at the front and put a bend in at the back to help give it some depth ( thanks rak9378 )

I have also set up a c02 system to help with growth

1bb4d8895f19a1211cfdce96142eff9c_zpsd16f0fd0.jpg

346baa88e9f7b0ba57dec348a11e85b3_zpsa3b3359f.jpg

758131b064d063968b330a42424e192c_zps0b1a713c.jpg

Gazzaeng said:
The pictures are not very clear crap camera and the water is a bit dirty. But all in all it has stayed together .
Since these pics I have widened the stones at the front and put a bend in at the back to help give it some depth ( thanks rak9378 )
I have also set up a c02 system to help with growth
Happy to help!! :) The tank looks great! I love the rock placement. Are you going to be using any ferts with your CO2?

Yes I will be at the moment I'm using the jbl ferts that I got with the c02 as I'm not sure what ones are best at the moment if you can help at all on that?

Love the open swimming space for the neons to swim!!

Definitely an inspiration for my re-scape!

Nice job.  I like your fish selection.  Looks good.

Awesome job mate. No more needs to be said

Edit - I'm not meaning that as being a d*** or anything mate I mean it's a masterpiece

Gazzaeng said:
Yes I will be at the moment I'm using the jbl ferts that I got with the c02 as I'm not sure what ones are best at the moment if you can help at all on that?
I am by no means an expert so hopefully someone else will chime in. But basically there are what's called macro nutrients and micro nutrients. There are three major macro nutrients: Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P), and Potassium (K). There are other macro nutrients you can add but these are the primary three. Micro nutrients include things like Iron, Boron, Manganese, Plantex, Miller Microplex. Both macro and micro ferts can be bought dry whereby you prepare the doses yourself or they can be bought in liquid form. The liquid stuff is readily available at your LFS and is made by companies like Seachem (for example Flourish is a popular product for micro nutrients). Great products....but can get pricey. The dry ferts can be bought online (I couldn't find at my LFS) and are literally in a powder form. Way cheaper than the bottled stuff.

For those that choose to go the dry fert route there are various methods for dosing. The two more popular ones are EI (Estimative Index) and PPS-Pro. There is a ton of info out there about both methods so you would need to do your research an decide which is best for you. I just starting using a lean version of EI (I'm using Excel instead of pressurized CO2). The concept behind EI is to provide your plants with excess levels of nutrients so that nothing is ever lacking and testing is not necessary. Because dosing at excess levels means a build up of nutrient levels, a large water change is done weekly to reset the nutrient levels. The general recommendation is a weekly 50% water change but that is not set in stone. EI is customizable which is what I liked about it.

As I said there is a ton of info out there...hopefully this gives you a good starting point. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back