90l Fluval Roma Rescape

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sharpy1987

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Over a year ago i bought a Fluval Roma 90. I have been reading this site for a while now and have been envious at everyones tanks on here. Mine looks very basic and it is time to turn it into a planted tank.

This is my tank as it is now: (the pics are from when i bought my tank about a year ago but it hasnt changed much)

2j4sg7r.jpg

14vhbo2.jpg

35iuquv.jpg

You should move those plants into the back half of the tank, and then get some foreground plants. You could get some java moss and stick it on the temple ornament. I personally think you should lose the black and white gravel and get some sand, and then get live plants. Amazon swords, java fern, anubias, crypts, and java moss all grows well in low light and no ferts.

The plan...

Change the internal U2 filter to en external filter.

Change the current black and white gravel to tesco cat litter and argos play sand - im thinking of having an 'L' shape using the cat litter and the other section filled with the sand.

remove the resin ornaments and replace with a nice piece of wood.

fill with plants..

I bought a JBL E700 external filter. unpacked it and gave it a good rinse:

34tc3d2.jpg

dmwfwh.jpg

Its made such a difference to my tank. A lot easier to clean and gives a nice flow. Best thing i have bought for the tank by far!

This is the wood i have bought:

35b9vr4.jpg

I'm wanting to tie some plants to it. I'm thinkin Anubius

Does anyone have any suggestions and tips on how to tie the plants to it?

I'm wanting to tie some plants to it. I'm thinkin Anubius

Does anyone have any suggestions and tips on how to tie the plants to it?
Take some thread about the same color as the wood, and just tie the rhizome onto the spot you want it.

Or use superglue :), if you happen to get plants from where you got those from in your first pic, don't buy the same ones as they are non aquatic.

There's a guide here in case they have more of them.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/297782-a-survey-of-non-aquatic-plants/

Ahh ok, i never thought of using superglue. Does it not damage the plants then?

I bought them plants from a local pet store which I don't use anymore. I've found a seller on EBay who sells a load of plants, thinking of getting them from him.

I'm torn between giant vallis and twisted vallis to go on the left hand side.

I've also been thinking about getting dwarf hair grass to go around the base of my wood

Sounds good just watch eBay sellers as so e send a load of trimmings that aren't rooted.

Superglue is fine mate, does no harm.

Aquarium gardening on our homepage or aqua essentials, the green machine is also good but expensive.

Update: Spent eight and a half hours doing the 'change over' on Sunday.

Went to the fish shop and spent £42 on plants.
Returned home and washed the plants, then emptied my water, fish and snails into a plastic storage box and put the heater and plants in with them.
Emptied all gravel from the tank.
Cleaned the tank.
Attached the anubius to the wood.
Placed substrate into the tank. Covered with Tesco cat litter and Argos play sand.
Placed two pieces of wood.
Planted all of my plants.
Slowly and i mean slowly (nearly fell asleep doing this) filled the tank up with water.
Returned fish into their home.
Cleaned up after myself (by order of the girlfriend, there was sand, gravel and water everywhere!)

Then... a couple of hours later...CARNAGE.

My pleco didn't like the new layout. He's ripped up EVERY single plant, made himself a trench and wafted cat litter all over the place. Thrown the sand everywhere.

My tank looks a right mess! i feel so down about it.

I'm trying to find a transport bag big enough for him as he has to go. I rescued him from a fluval edge a year ago and he's since tripled in size, its time for him to move on to a bigger tank.

Soon as he has gone, i'll have to spend another couple of hours re-doing the tank
evilmad.gif

right picture update time:

this was when my pleco destroyed my entire rescape:

w5x1x.jpg

2ey9sua.jpg

2uf4qoo.jpg

this is after 4 hours re-doing everything:

The water is still a little cloudy

fcns7.jpg

tank starting to clear up:

qrby14.jpg

12643cw.jpg

333h1zo.jpg

he did a good job of that didnt he i bet devastated doesnt even cover it

i could have cried mate.

I spent 8 and a half hours solid transfering everything into a plastic storage, cleaning out my tank and then start to add substrate, gravel, plants etc.. then adding fish back in. It lasted about 2 hours before being destroyed.

I was very tired, my hamstrings and back was killing me and i thought 'whats the point'

Then i booked a day off work, took my pleco to the local fish store and started trying to fix everything. This turned out to be much harder! 4 hours later and its sorted

i have some pics on my phone of how it is currently which i'll upload within the next couple of days. The plants have grown a bit since

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back