90 gallon, new fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If you have soft acidic water PLEASE South American Biotope. Those tanks are gorgeous and so interesting! And in a 90G??? Man, you could have an amazing setup... You could have angels, with fuller-bodied tetras, or smaller tetras with SA dwarf cichlids, Corydoras, Otocinclus. It's one of my favourite tank setups.

I was thinking of something similar to a South American biotope. But I have limited choices because of my discus and I don't want any other cichlid in the tank besides him. He has to be the star. I forgot about otocinclus, thank you for reminding me, definitely have to add some.

If you plan to keep the discuss, I'd recommend trying your hand with more discuss once again.

Other good options I'd recommend (I have a 90g with very similar ph and I'd assume hardness as well) are a fully stocked Angelfish tank OR

As I have done, a south american cichlid tank. I have a few cichlids and a nice school of giant danios (rainbows would work as well) It's an awesome tank.

Knowing Leopold adding other discus would be pretty much throwing my money away as he would terrorize them and I'd have to remove them. And I definitely want to keep him. Both him and the synodontis (been with me for 9 years) are my absolute favorites. They are part of the family. So other tank set up ideas are a no as I just sized down to one tank in the house.

I have read through this thread again, concentrating on the behaviour of the discus as you describe it. The reason he is aggressive (more than normal for the species) is because of the stress he has faced. This is a shoaling species and they must be in a group. Initially, I mean (not now for other reasons). Scientific studies have shown that aggression is often the result of severe stress over time. This is irreversible, which is why adding more discus now would not help, and he would likely attack and kill them.

He would be best on his own.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back