9 Fish In 3 Days Lost.

Tacklebury

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. (long post i'm afraid, please read!!!)

I have recently returned to the world of Tropical fish after an 8 year gap.

I have a 'Fish R Fun' GPS-900 (176L) tank. The tank is now 7 weeks old and seems to be cycling fine.

I brought a Siamese Fighter (male) about 2 weeks ago and he has been fine in this time. When I first introduced him the Ruby shark seems to be interested in him, but the next day the fighter had sorted him out and they left each other alone. If anything the shark seemed to be scared of him.

So, I thought it would be nice if I added a few female bettas to allow the male a bit of company and maybe in time some fry.

This is where my problems started.

In the first night 2 females died, they appeared to have been attacked as the fins were damaged. Then the next night the remaining two also passed away. An unfortunate development.

That was Saturday night. Then during Sunday the male Betta became very withdrawn and I could see his fins were also chewed and he had a white line running across his rear end. Sadly he passed away last night at 10pm.

This morning I found 2 guppies in the tank, again both has had fin damaged which I assume has resulted in there demise. I have had to remove 2 more today as they were also suffering and I was not prepared to watch more of my beloved fish die. Now the remaining 2 guppies are looking like they may soon follow suit. So this will be 11 fish in 1 week all killed somehow.

I don't understand why? The male betta was fine for 2 weeks and suddenly after introducing 4 females I seem to have upset the balance and one of my fish is killing the others. I also noticed the male was very aggressive towards the females, puffing out his gills and flaring his fins. I assumed he had killed the females but now he has gone and guppies are still being attacked I’m not sure.

My tank contains

4 mollies (one heavily pregnant female)
14 neon tetras
4 male guppies (soon to be 2 by Tuesday morning!!)
1 ruby Shark
6 Glass (ghost) catfish
2 Plecos

I have lost the following

4 female bettas
1 male betta
4 male guppies

Do you think the shark is responsible? If so why has he suddenly become so aggressive. I also wondered if the molly could be guilty. She is pregnant and has been very aggressive to a lot of the fish, but she only chase’s them for a second and then gives up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Simon

I'm sure the shark is to blame but why not test to see which one is to blame. Get yourself a fry net and put the molly into it. If the fish are still getting attacked its the shark so remove the shark straight away....bring him to a pet store or something!

Thanks for the replies.

I used to have a ruby shark in my old tank many moons ago, he got on with all my fish, not disimilar to the variety i have now.

Wilder - How do you breed bettas then? If you can't keep the males and females together? I was told that as long as i had a 4:1 ratio the male would be fine?

Thanks

Taken from the link and guppys are a no go area as well with betta.
Can males and females live together?

A: Not unless you want a tank of dead fish. They should only be together if you are spawning, or if the tank is full of fry.

Go to the betta section they will help you alot.
Watch the shark I would only add fairily aggressive fish with them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back