75G Stocking Suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Do they make black pool filter sand? o_O

I'm still not sure on what schooling fish I want. It's hard to decide between Upside-down catfish & congo tetras.

Do the USD cats occupy mid to top or will they stay towards the bottom?

If I go with congo tetras, can I get all males?

Thank you :)

From what I have seen, USD cats will stay top to mid... no first-hand experience keeping them though.

Congo Tetras...
Dunno.gif

Still wondering on if I could go with all males for the congo tetras.
Also wondering if there is something else of similar shape/size that the bichirs hopefully wouldn't want to eat and is less expensive. I highly doubt it but maybe someone will know something like that :)

Am looking at some other schooling fish as the congos are expensive (IMO)

Possible Schooling Fish w/ concerns in parentheses

Congo Tetras (Expensive)
Upside-down Catfish (Not sure on location in tank, possibly expensive, dad doesn't like)
Rainbowfish (Expensive and spook ctenopoma)
Denison/Torpedo Barb/Roseline Shark (Expensive and streamlined so possibly eaten by bichir, prefers subtropical I think?)
Tiger Barb (May be eaten by bichir and likely nip angelfish)
Rosy Barb
Silver Dollars (Eat plants)
Giant Danio (Streamlined so possibly eaten by bichir, possibly prefer subtropical temperature)
Gourami (Not schooling, but could be kept in a large group such as 1M:5F, could be nippy towards the angelfish, feelers could be nipped by bichir)

We picked up a 72x18x23 (129g) tank, so now need to figure out what sort of filtration we need.
I wanted a Penn Plax Cascade 1500 but dad has found something else and I have heard of the brand but am not sure how good they are.

HERE is the one we're looking at, it's from Sunsun, and is for up to 200g tanks, and says it has 525 GPH. Is this enough for the tank or will we need something bigger, or get a second one later?

I'd also like to know good places to find lids for this size tank, as it is missing the lids. We'll probably need to replace the lights too, not sure.

Thank you
smile.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
We bought that filter, though found it a little cheaper on another listing. I hope to get a second one eventually but for now we'll need to hold off. I'll be getting the fish as juveniles so hopefully we have a good bit of time.

What media should we buy/how should it be set up?
smile.png

Yaay, sounds excellent!

A pic of your new tank when you get it would be awesome!

I have seen these filters before from other members on this forum. Looks very similar to Tetra Tec external filters aside from colour obviously and priming pump looks better on the SunSun truth be told, looks pretty sturdy too. Nice 
smile.png

As for filter media, well, almost anything in any order will work but i've found that in my filter for best results was ceramic media in bottom tray with sponge on top, 2nd from bottom tray have filled to brim with bio balls, 3rd from bottom tray have filled full of sponge media, top tray has filter floss/polisher to help clarify water before going in to the tank.

Thats what i have in mine anyway, and it seems to work pretty well.

Hope that helps a little bit to give you some ideas.

^ I would second that. I always have set up my canisters factory recommended and modified slightly.

That is awesome Nin! I can't wait to see this tank actualllyyyyyy come to life!

I always run 2 canisters for a big tank to alternate cleaning... but one to start would be more than fine. I'm looking for cheap lids myself actually... 

Oh I have been showing pics on chat! I wanted to wait to post them on a thread as I wanted to do a journal, but..here
tongue2.gif

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n255/ninjouzata_2006/130g%20Tank/100_2297.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n255/ninjouzata_2006/130g%20Tank/100_2296.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n255/ninjouzata_2006/130g%20Tank/SAM_2502.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n255/ninjouzata_2006/130g%20Tank/SAM_2501.jpg

I love it. The stand and bottom part of the tank needs some work though, obviously.
smile.png

I asked a member who has this exact filter, and they said they use all coarse media. Noodles, matrix, and bioballs. I quite like this idea as it seems would allow for much better flow rather than the foam and whatnot, thoughts?

I found a lid but not sure if it's what we're looking for and not sure if dad will like the price. HERE it is.

Also what sort of stocking do ya'll think I should be looking at now?

Have had a certain someone poke me that I could put a black ghost (my absolute dream fish) instead of a brown. Thoughts on that would also be appreciated. I know I have told some people here that the minimum I'd recommend others putting them in is a 200g, and myself I was stating the minimum as a 8x4x3 ft. The temptation now is strong though.

Thank you
biggrin.png

You have a sweet platform to work with! So sweet you got a 129. Thanks for the pics!

I'll have to ponder a stocking list.

edit: I'll take that motorcyle in the background. You surely don't need it.

ReMz said:
You have a sweet platform to work with! So sweet you got a 129. Thanks for the pics!

I'll have to ponder a stocking list.

edit: I'll take that motorcyle in the background. You surely don't need it.
Am so excited :D
Remember it needs to include the ones already on this thread, except for the brown ghost if we do the black ghost instead. Need more thoughts on that though..
I don't think my dad would like you to take his motorcycle :p

Very nice tank, esp at that price!

A bit of sanding and varnishing or paint will bring that stand back to life, something you could do pretty easily.

A cool project and will be stunning when completed.

If I were you I wouldn't get the striped rapheal, I had a spotted rapheal catfish and it stayed in a hole all day and only came out at night and i guess it only ate guppies and ghost shrimp. I got rid of him at a local pet store, but that's up to you.

I already took it off the list a while back, but thank you!
Took it off as I agree, would never see it. I also wanted to give more bottom space to the bichirs. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back