75G Stocking Suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ninjouzata

Two Eels Are Better Than One
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
I feel sort of bad putting this up, as it's an imaginary tank. Sort of.
I'm asking for this for my Christmas present, and very excited so I'd really love to start figuring out the stocking if I do get it.

Even if I don't get it for Christmas, this will still definitely be a future tank plan, so any information given to me is not going to waste!

I imagine it'd be a standard 75g, which If I'm not mistaken, is 48x18x20 LxWxH, right? I just want to make sure as I know usually it's the dimensions that matter, not just the volume of water.

I already have an idea of the fish that I want, but I'm not sure if they can all go together, or if they are even suitable for this size tank.

Brown Ghost Knife (Apteronotus Leptorhynchus)
Armored Bichir (Polypterus Delhezi)
Leopard Bushfish (Ctenopoma acutirostre)
African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi)
Striped Raphael Catfish (Platydoras Armatulus)

If a different bichir would work, like the senegal, that'd be fine too..but I imagine it gets too big for this size tank? The only reason I say that one is it's cheaper, from what I've seen.

Also wondering if the delhezi would actually be too large for this tank. Are there any smaller ones?

I'd also be happy if an Angelfish could work with them, but from reading around it sounds like that is a no. Or maybe I'd need to get a bigger angel, after reading a thread where a bichir bit a small ones dorsal fin?

Imagine I'd just want 1 of the knife & bichir, but what about the ctenopama and butterfly? Do those like to be alone or in small groups?

What are some good schooling fish to go with these guys, if any?

Another issue I'm thinking of is their environmental needs. 

It seems that the knife would prefer a higher current, while the ctenopoma, butterfly, and raphael would like very little flow. 
I'm having trouble finding what the bichir would prefer, but I'm guessing low.

Could I achieve pleasing both parties by having a moderate flow, and one side of the tank with lots of floating plants to create a still area? Or would that end up restricting the fish to each side of the tank, and result in having less room to move around?

It would most definitely have sand substrate.

Would also appreciate suggestions on filter(s) for this, as they're larger fish (for me anyway) and so make a large mess.

I'd also love to hear about anyones experiences with these fish, as well as food recommendations. What type of food, how much, how often, etc. 

And lastly..I'd like to know what you all think of if I'm ready to care for these sorts of fish.

My current tanks:

55g - 1 Golden Gourami, 1 Albino Longfin Bristlenose Pleco, 11 Rummynose Tetras, 7 Albino Cories, 7 Khuli Loaches
20g Long - Crowntail Betta {Discord}, ~10 Corydoras Habrosus
20g Flatback Hex - 9 Pseudomugil Gertrudae, 9 Neon Tetras, 2 (1M:1F) Peacock Gudgeons

I've only been keeping fish since May of this year.

Thank you very much for any responses, I look forward to reading them!

This is the size tank I'm hoping to get after I move later this year. I've heard that it's a great size because it has room for background, mid, and foreground plants.

pnyf said:
This is the size tank I'm hoping to get after I move later this year. I've heard that it's a great size because it has room for background, mid, and foreground plants.
Does seem roomier width-wise, at least in my mind, since I don't have it yet :p

That is another thing that I'd love to hear suggestions about is how to decorate it, as if those fish do all work together, they like hiding places.
I was thinking of some PVC pipes, and putting silicone on them & rolling them in sand to make them look a bit more natural.

(?) Means that I've seen some cases of it not working/really not sure
Y = Yes, N = No, although didn't have any N's.. This is at least as far as compatibility goes, from what I had found. I'm still really not sure what to do about them preferring different flow rates.

Knife x Ctenopoma = Y
Knife x Bichir = Y
Knife x ABF = Y
Knife x Raphael = Y
Knife x Angel = Y

Ctenopoma x Bichir = Y
Ctenopoma x ABF = Y
Ctenopoma x Raphael = Y
Ctenopoma x Angel = Y

Bichir x ABF = Y(?)
Bichir x Raphael = Y
Bichir x Angel = Y(?)

ABF x Raphael = Y
ABF x Angel = Y(?)

Raphael x Angel = Y

An unusual combination but a very cool one!

Now, as you already know, I do not know very much about these oddballs but found a forum thread that has some similar stocking request including angelfish which I happen to know you would like...

Basically in short I have a little research and think your stocking choice SHOULD be ok provided you add all these fish at the same time really otherwise you may have territorial wars going on if slowly adding separate fish in over weeks or months.

1x Bichir    (think either Armoured or Senegal should be ok, Senegal being slightly larger as you already mentioned)
1x African Brown Knife Fish
1x Leopard Bushfish
3x Spotted Raphael Catfish (these are smaller than Striped so thats why you could maybe have 3 of these instead)

I think you can include 2x Angelfish

Not a conclusive list though, that is just from me doing a little bit of research to help you a little. 
wink.png

Have not included African Butterfly Fish as find it difficult to find if they are compatible but I think with the stocking above, you'll find you'll be pretty much fully stocked, all of these add up to about 65" of stocking and using the the general rule of 1" per gallon that should be ok, I THINK.....
(do feel free to correct me on this as I am not very good at stocking numbers and would gladly like to learn more!)

Just out of interest, there is a thread of sort of similar request of stocking, an enjoyable read anyway 
smile.png

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/158142-what-goes-in-with-my-oddballs/page-3

Thanks Ch4rlie
happy.png

Remember it's a brown ghost, not african brown, but they're about the same size anyways. Just prefer different water flows I think. And ofcourse the ghost is cuter..
tongue2.gif

Which I still am not sure what to do with that..I think taking the butterfly out would help, as they prefer very little flow to almost stagnant water?

I think the spotted raphaels are ugly, is why I wanted the striped. 
blush.png
 I may just leave the raphael out entirely, give the bichir more floor space. I dunno.

I also think I'll stick to one angel, as it's hard to sex them unless they pair up, and I don't really want a pair anyways, as when they breed they could get nasty with the other fish in the tank.

*Edit* Have put this thread up on numerous sites. The filters I've been recommended are fx5 and eheim 2260. This is the stock list I've come to, thoughts?

1x Brown Ghost Knife
1x Delhezi Bichir
1x Palmas Palmas Bichir
1x Palmas Beuttikoferi
1x Leopard Ctenopoma
6x Congo Tetras
1x Angelfish (Maybe*)

I'm not sure on the Congo tetras, as have heard of bichirs eating them. Perhaps if I grew them out first?
Also wondering if instead of them I should do upside down catfish.

Any plant suggestions? -- Guess this would have to be until I figured out lighting. Hmm.

What background do you think would look best? I normally do black sand, black background, so can focus on the colors of the plants and fish. But I think that'd be really dark with these guys since most of them are brown.

*I will see my dads thoughts on the angelfish. I really wanted to include it because he loves them, and instead of going with that in my 55g I went with a golden gourami.
Imagine he'll be fine with me not getting one though, so probably will end up being taken off the list.

Something else I've been wondering about is who I'd introduce first..I imagine the bichirs last that way the others will have time to put on size?

Another question :)
For now I think the fx5 is too expensive, especially since my father is buying this for me.

Would a Penn Plax Cascade 1500 be okay? If not for life, how long? Imagine we could upgrade it later if need be.

Thanks~

I'm thinking that filter should be okay, and I can always upgrade later, or do some HOBs along with it.

I know it's hard to get help on this as I'm not sure what kind of lighting I'll have yet, but would appreciate some plant suggestions and how to scape the tank. Maybe keep it to low lights for now until I figure out the lighting? :p
Also for now here is my beautiful masterpiece that I came up with:
harhar.png

The floaty plants are amazon frogbit, the big leafed ones between the PVC pipes are banana plants, the fuzzy green on top of the PVC pipes is moss, the plants above the moss in the middle are water sprite IIRC, and the reddish brown ones are red crypts (wendtii?) I know placing them like that would look really unnatural but I'm a fail when it comes to aquascaping.

Maybe should take the middle banana plant out and do amazon sword there. I dunno. :p I plan on planting while cycling so the roots can take hold and so I can make sure it looks the way I want.

Thanks!

Here are a couple versions of my 75gal over the years... most current one is a lousy lousy pic, but hey!

Of course set up for chichlids.. .but might give you some ideas.

My old 35g:

Word on sand... it is a pain in the *** to keep clean. If you are diligent about cleaning no problem. I loved it when I was up to snuff cleaning the tank, because it was easy to spot clean. However, it fills your canisters when you have fish digging around and rummaging (like they will be in this tank). A small gravel is much easier to keep looking clean and wont clog up your filters. Just a thought.

I love the 2nd pic of the 75g the most. I really like the arch in the wood :D I hope I can find a piece, or maybe two pieces, to create an arch! Same goes to the 35g, I like the hole in the wood. Fun stuff to see the fish swim through.

I have sand in all my tanks except my 55g & that is getting switched to sand soon. It's not an issue for me to keep clean, so far anyways. That being said I have HOBs & this upcoming filter will be my first canister.
How much sand do you think will get into it? Will it break the filter? :c And can I somehow get the sand out of it & put it back in the tank?

Most of the big pieces of wood are multiple pieces I placed together over a couple of days before having any fish in the tank to look like one.

The sand won't break the filter.. could if too much got in, but my oscar kicked up a lot of sand and I never had problems except premature water flow issues.... you could certainly rinse it all out into the bottom of the canister when cleaning and carefully put back into the tank if so inclined. Every time you see your bigger fish start digging around in the sand and see it kick up into a filter outlet you will cringe though! Be warned. After about a year of owning my oscar and pleco they had pretty much managed to get the tank to the glass bottom from me siphoning all the time and cleaning sand out of my filters. I then went to a gravel substrate.

Sand looks oh so cool though!

Ooh, did you do this with the ones in those pictures? If you did I couldn't tell at all!
Hrm, hopefully they don't kick up as much as your Oscar did :p If it ends up going badly then we can always switch, but if I can keep the sand I'd like to do that.

Yeah last pic of the 75g is with a lighter mixed gravel.

If you were to do sand... I think I would go with a light sand since you are going to have a lot of your guys spending time chilling at the bottom of the tank and they will be harder to see.

My opinion would be to include an Angel. In a 75g, potential to grow nice and big and actually be a pretty cool centerpiece fish. Plus you have so many options to choose from to compliment or contrast the colors of the other fish in the tank. I would question the congo tetras if you are going that route though.... Angels love making tetras a snack when they get big. I realize the congos are a little larger than some, but I don't think it would matter.

For sand, get pool filter sand. Doesnt end up in ya filters, and you can gravel clean it just like gravel.....awesome stuff.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back