April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello! I've just returned from an 11-day trip, and I am ready to start renovating the tank since summer break is here.
I have a 75g planted community tank that was neglected on the plants and scaping. here are the issues:
1. overrun by green hair algae.
2. black spot mold has been plaguing my water lettuce.
Some other questions I have:
3. How can I make the guppies breed more?
4. How can I make Harlequin Rasboras breed? I need a larger school since I only have 9-10, but access to the fish store is limited since it is far.
5. How can I make a raw piece of Manzanita wood bark-free and safe for the tank?

I will post a photo so you guys can help me re-plant the tank!
Once the Wood is ready, I will post a picture of the wood next to the tank
I'm not willing to move the big plants such as amazon sword and crypts since they are sensitive to their roots moving.
I'm willing to move the hardscape, but I am not willing to add more substrate.

Tank Stocking:
10~ x some various guppies(accidentally got a Yellow Tiger Endler)
4x Pearl Gouramis
9+ x Harlequin Rasboras (some big some small since they were bought at different times)
6~x green and sterbai cories (I will be getting more of the greens. not sure on sterbai since the only reason I have them is an accident)
2 x BIG swordtails
>10 x baby/juvenile swordtails

I will add more later along with the photos, i just need to finish changing water

To get the fish spawning try using spawning mops or really really dense floating and tall growing plants like hornwort or vallis. The denser you plant the better chances of survival, though the Gourami are likely eating the fry as they are up in the top third of the tank with the live bearers.

Making the Manzanita safe will just be a case of scrubbing it IMO you could pre soak it but I'd keep the bark and lichen on - seen it done a few times with no issues.

Looking forward to pics!

Wills

Hello! I've just returned from an 11-day trip, and I am ready to start renovating the tank since summer break is here.
I have a 75g planted community tank that was neglected on the plants and scaping. here are the issues:
1. overrun by green hair algae.
2. black spot mold has been plaguing my water lettuce.
Some other questions I have:
3. How can I make the guppies breed more?
4. How can I make Harlequin Rasboras breed? I need a larger school since I only have 9-10, but access to the fish store is limited since it is far.
5. How can I make a raw piece of Manzanita wood bark-free and safe for the tank?

I will post a photo so you guys can help me re-plant the tank!
Once the Wood is ready, I will post a picture of the wood next to the tank
I'm not willing to move the big plants such as amazon sword and crypts since they are sensitive to their roots moving.
I'm willing to move the hardscape, but I am not willing to add more substrate.

Tank Stocking:
10~ x some various guppies(accidentally got a Yellow Tiger Endler)
4x Pearl Gouramis
9+ x Harlequin Rasboras (some big some small since they were bought at different times)
6~x green and sterbai cories (I will be getting more of the greens. not sure on sterbai since the only reason I have them is an accident)
2 x BIG swordtails
>10 x baby/juvenile swordtails

I will add more later along with the photos, i just need to finish changing water
In addition to what @Wills said, the wood must be dry before adding to tank. You can put it in the oven on low heat to speed up the process.

To get the fish spawning try using spawning mops or really really dense floating and tall growing plants like hornwort or vallis. The denser you plant the better chances of survival, though the Gourami are likely eating the fry as they are up in the top third of the tank with the live bearers.

Making the Manzanita safe will just be a case of scrubbing it IMO you could pre soak it but I'd keep the bark and lichen on - seen it done a few times with no issues.

Looking forward to pics!
In addition to what @Wills said, the wood must be dry before adding to tank. You can put it in the oven on low heat to speed up the process.
Wills
thanks. the wood is charred, I think I should remove that...
How should I dry it if it is too big to put in the oven? Cut, dry, and then glue?

How should I remove Green Hair Algae?

Most reactions

trending

Back