75 Gallon Stocking Ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey friends. I'm looking to restart my 75-gallon tank with a few criteria for fish stocking options:

-Fish should be hardy
-Peaceful/community
-Don't nip fins
-Don't jump out of tanks (I not have a cover nor want one)

Thanks, everyone!

As usual, we will need to know your water hardness. (pH and GH)

A 75g tank will provide you with lots of stocking options.

Is the tank cycled? What substrate does the tank have?

As usual, we will need to know your water hardness. (pH and GH)

A 75g tank will provide you with lots of stocking options.

Is the tank cycled? What substrate does the tank have?
ph 7, no idea on the hardness.

tank is not cycled, but I'm a patient man and can gradually add fish until it's full of fish. I plan on either a bare bottom tank OR sand substrate.

Don’t do a bare bottom tank. Substrate (especially sand) holds a ton of beneficial bacteria, making the tank more stable.

Having sand will also provide you with more stocking options, e.i. Corydoras/Loaches.

ph 7, no idea on the hardness
Check with your local water company, or on your last water report. (It should have a number, like “000ppm”)

Depending on hardness, I would do:
2 pairs of Angels
2 Opaline or Pearl Gourami / 2 German Blue Rams
12 Skirt Tetras
12 Celestial Pearl Danio (I know not generally suggested with Angels but I keep them with my Angels with no problems)
12 Julii Cories
1 Pleco (I love King Tiger)
4-8 Mystery Snails
Sand Substrate
Heavily Planted
Driftwood and large Rocks

2 pairs of Angels
12 Skirt Tetras
12 Celestial Pearl Danio (I know not generally suggested with Angels but I keep them with my Angels with no problems)
12 Julii Cories
4-8 Mystery Snails
Sand Substrate
Heavily Planted
Most Anglefish will eat anything that fits in their mouth, so the Danios would be a no.

We really need the OP’s water hardness, in order to provide stocking options. :)

2 pairs of Angels
12 Skirt Tetras
12 Julii Cories
4-8 Mystery Snails
Sand Substrate
Heavily Planted
I wouldn't recommend 2 angels, I'd do a larger group with less mid and upper fish. Also you have space for one german blue, which are very difficult fish to keep and needs elevated temps. Opaline gourami are highly aggressive, I wouldn't stock any.

Also you have space for one german blue, which are very difficult fish to keep and needs elevated temps. Opaline gourami are highly aggressive, I wouldn't stock any.
Rats, forgot to mention the Rams temperature needs. Thank you @HoldenOn. :good:

I wouldn't recommend 2 angels, I'd do a larger group with less mid and upper fish. Also you have space for one german blue, which are very difficult fish to keep and needs elevated temps. Opaline gourami are highly aggressive, I wouldn't stock any.
I said 2 pairs so 4 total, 3 pairs might be better for that tank. I put the Ram because I've seen it as a good mate for Angels, honestly never kept one. Are Opaline agressive? I've found mine are rather peaceful but I could've got lucky.
Most Anglefish will eat anything that fits in their mouth, so the Danios would be a no.

We really need the OP’s water hardness, in order to provide stocking options. :)
I know Danios might not be the best with Angels, I gave that warning, but if the Angels are smaller or the Danios are bigger, it works great.

I'm aware we need their hardness but I'm working on the assumption it is softer, based on some of their previous postings on this forum.

I said 2 pairs so 4 total, 3 pairs might be better for that tank. I put the Ram because I've seen it as a good mate for Angels, honestly never kept one. Are Opaline agressive? I've found mine are rather peaceful but I could've got lucky.

I know Danios might not be the best with Angels, I gave that warning, but if the Angels are smaller or the Danios are bigger, it works great.

I'm aware we need their hardness but I'm working on the assumption it is softer, based on some of their previous postings on this forum.
I misread sorry! I do agree 3 pairs seems perfect for a 75. That specific kind of ram is very difficult. They aren't bad tank-mates but are highly aggressive among themselves and are very susceptible to ich and other illnesses. Not only that but they need a HIGHLY elevated temperature. Yea, opalines can get really nasty. They are also known as 3 spots and are notorious for being bullies.

I misread sorry! I do agree 3 pairs seems perfect for a 75. That specific kind of ram is very difficult. They aren't bad tank-mates but are highly aggressive among themselves and are very susceptible to ich and other illnesses. Not only that but they need a HIGHLY elevated temperature. Yea, opalines can get really nasty. They are also known as 3 spots and are notorious for being bullies.
Interesting with the Opaline, I'm either lucky or they're waiting to get mean lol I have noticed they try to bully my pleco when he's eating, although I'm not sure plecos really know other fish exist lol

Really good options. The only issue I have with a few of them is that I've done a planted tank and it drove me nuts with the trimming and dosing. I have two kids and need a low maintenance tank. Plus I bought a home which now adds to my plate maintenance wise.

I wouldn’t stock a tank now then. Wait until things have settled in and everything gets back to normal. Then look back into stocking. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back