75 Gallon African Cichlid Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

electropunk06

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi as some of you know i have been unsure what too stock in my new tank, it is currently cycling.
So i have decided to go for african cichlids, but still cant decide whether to go for malawi or tanganyika.
My cycle is almost finished so might be getting fish this or next weekend, so thought i would start a journal.
I've just added some coral sand :good: I still need to get rocks ect.
Will post some pics when the water has cleared up abit but nothing exciting... yet :lol:
My tap water has a PH of 6.6 but hoping the coral sand will help with that, I'm planning on going a small water change every other day to help the PH stay steady.

Lloyd

As promised some pics of the tank

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

There is only 1cm of coral sand in the tank, do you think i should add more? or should i mix some play sand in with it?
Any suggestions what rock to use and where to get them from?
Cheers
Lloyd

Edit: Just realised how dark the pics are, only seen them on my phone :lol:
Will try to get the camera to work well.

Hi there,

Have you decided on rock yet? I have found some of the topic pages very useful on here. A few things I have read is depending on whether you are keeping Malawi or Tanganyika depends on what rock to use. Tanganyika if you are wanting to keep it natural are smooth rocks rather than rough edged. I have learnt that most folk use "coral rock" in a Malawi tank. I am going for a Tang set up and keeping it as natural as possible making my own 3d background. The coral sand you have used, again I think this is preference on how much to use. I have kept Malawi in the past and only used about a 1cm depth too. Some say its better for keeping the tank clean but I'm not sure? Im sure there are more experienced members to advise us both on that? Look forward to seeing your progress

Hi there,

Have you decided on rock yet? I have found some of the topic pages very useful on here. A few things I have read is depending on whether you are keeping Malawi or Tanganyika depends on what rock to use. Tanganyika if you are wanting to keep it natural are smooth rocks rather than rough edged. I have learnt that most folk use "coral rock" in a Malawi tank. I am going for a Tang set up and keeping it as natural as possible making my own 3d background. The coral sand you have used, again I think this is preference on how much to use. I have kept Malawi in the past and only used about a 1cm depth too. Some say its better for keeping the tank clean but I'm not sure? Im sure there are more experienced members to advise us both on that? Look forward to seeing your progress

Hi, no decision on rock yet, i know lots of people use ocean rock but i don't think it looks great (sorry :/ ) so i'm thinking of other rocks like lime stone because it will help with my PH. still not decided on malawi or tangs but should probably make my mind up soon :lol:
Thanks alot :good:
Lloyd

Ye I know what you mean about the ocean rock thats why Im making my own background but will use coral sand to higher the ph which probably won't need much as the cement will apparently higher this too. Good luck with your rock search
smile.gif
Too many fish to choose from, that will be the hardest part of setting my tank back up
w00t.gif
The more I read on tangs the more confused I get lol

with such a low ph i think your right to go with limestone , you need to get your ph up quite a bit .

with such a low ph i think your right to go with limestone , you need to get your ph up quite a bit .

Hi i have put baking soda in which has helped raise it to 8, but am i safe to use this with fish in (cycling at the minute)?
But i think lime stone looks cool to, just need to find some :lol:
Thanks
Lloyd

Hi, no decision on rock yet, i know lots of people use ocean rock but i don't think it looks great (sorry :/ ) so i'm thinking of other rocks like lime stone because it will help with my PH. still not decided on malawi or tangs but should probably make my mind up soon :lol:
Lloyd

Ye I know what you mean about the ocean rock thats why Im making my own background but will use coral sand to higher the ph which probably won't need much as the cement will apparently higher this too. Good luck with your rock search
smile.gif
Too many fish to choose from, that will be the hardest part of setting my tank back up
w00t.gif

How could you??? I`m really hurt now :hyper: :hyper: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lloyd

smile.gif
w00t.gif

How could you??? I`m really hurt now :hyper: :hyper: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha, i did apologize :lol:

LOL no offence elisew, everyone's preference is different. I don't dislike it, i'm going to replicia the natural environment this time in a tang tank (well try to)
wahey.gif

Why does the tank look small in the photos? :unsure:

:lol:

Why does the tank look small in the photos? :unsure:

:lol:

Dose it?
it looks big in my living room, just ask my dad :lol:

I have decided to get tangs (...i think) got some shells ordered and should be getting 6 multis tomorrow :good:
I am going to use bicarb to reduce PH, how much should i add per liter to get a high PH?
Thanks
Lloyd

Got my multis this morning, i got 6.
within 10 mins of being in the tank two of them were showing breeding behavior, hanging around by the same shell and pushing each other.
pics to follow :good:
Lloyd

They`re lovely, great pics!! :good: :good:
But then I`m biased as I absolutely love the multis anyway :wub: :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back