75 Gallon Advice needed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ChrisInDC

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I posted initially to the welcome section and didn't want to post another thread there. So, per the advice i received in that thread, i have gotten the canister filter up and running and the plants in. You'll see in the photos where the pH sits so my stocking advice can be a little more targeted. Would love to know what kind of fish i can throw in there, a good centerpiece fish, etc...

I would like bolivian rams and some corys but i'm not married to the idea, would love to know what would pop in this tank, what would thrive in this kind of water and environment and what kind of community i could build. Thank you anyone who wants to take the time to help out. (my only experience is in the nano realm, so this is all brand new to me)

Attachments

• IMG_5687.jpeg
    IMG_5687.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 3,754
  • IMG_5686.jpeg
    IMG_5686.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5685.jpeg
    IMG_5685.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5683.jpeg
    IMG_5683.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5684.jpeg
    IMG_5684.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 48
Can you post the other parameters for your source (tap) water? These being GH (general or total hardness), and KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity, if you have it). The GH is the most important here as it directly affects the physiology of fishes since it is a measurement of primarily calcium and magnesium (the "hard" minerals). Needn't buy a test, you should find this data on your municipal water authority's website or by calling them. The pH is on the acidic side which (in my view) is good, as it gives you a much larger option for fish. There are many more softy water fish in the hobby than hard water, and an acidic pH usually means softer rather than hard water, though there are always exceptions.

Nice aquarium. My one suggestion would be floating plants. These provide shade from the light, which almost all fish we keep do prefer, and being fast growing they are incredible water improvers. By floating I tend to mean more substantial plants like Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, Frogbit. Small floaters like Salvinia and even smaller duckweed are better than nothing, and sometimes very effective, but the larger plants tend to do a better job of both the light shading and water conditions.

Can you post the other parameters for your source (tap) water? These being GH (general or total hardness), and KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity, if you have it). The GH is the most important here as it directly affects the physiology of fishes since it is a measurement of primarily calcium and magnesium (the "hard" minerals). Needn't buy a test, you should find this data on your municipal water authority's website or by calling them. The pH is on the acidic side which (in my view) is good, as it gives you a much larger option for fish. There are many more softy water fish in the hobby than hard water, and an acidic pH usually means softer rather than hard water, though there are always exceptions.

Nice aquarium. My one suggestion would be floating plants. These provide shade from the light, which almost all fish we keep do prefer, and being fast growing they are incredible water improvers. By floating I tend to mean more substantial plants like Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, Frogbit. Small floaters like Salvinia and even smaller duckweed are better than nothing, and sometimes very effective, but the larger plants tend to do a better job of both the light shading and water conditions.
I do have a massive amount of amazon frogbit in my other tanks and large plastic totes, but i'm worried they'll limit the light for the other plants in the tank.
my municipal water people were able to tell me the GH at 30 mg/l but was at a loss when it came to KH so we'll see if he gets back to me

I do have a massive amount of amazon frogbit in my other tanks and large plastic totes, but i'm worried they'll limit the light for the other plants in the tank.
my municipal water people were able to tell me the GH at 30 mg/l but was at a loss when it came to KH so we'll see if he gets back to me

Good, the GH at 30 mg/l [this is the equivalent of 30 ppm, one of the hobby scales used, and 1.6 dH which is the other scale] is very soft water, so lots of options. Don't worry about the KH, it is likely close to the GH and this just means that over time the pH is probably going to lower more, which is fine for these fish.

Wouldn't worry about the light, the shade to settle the fish is more important anyway! This really does make a big difference. Many very soft water fish have what Baensch & Rhiel termed a light phobia.

The water people will use the term 'alkalinity' instead of KH. If you speak to them again, ask what your alkalinity is.

Most reactions

trending

Back