72 Gallon Stock?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JustinGatCat

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and just wanted an opinion on my tropical freshwater
72 Gallon Bowfront as in terms of its stocking levels and if it's overstocked

Right now there is
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Goldfish(temporary?)
1 Swordtail
1 Platy
10 Black Skirts
13 Neons
5 Buenos Aires
3 Serpae
2 Roseline Sharks
3 Albino Corys
1 Bristle Pleco
2 Angel Rams
1 Honey Gourami
2 Zebra Danios

Some notes on the inhabitants, I've had some of these fish for
Quite some time. The Shark, Goldfish, Platy, Sword, Danios, Pleco, and Corys were part of a smaller system a while until I upgraded. My goldfish was actually turtle food, along with other small comet Goldfish, but he survived getting his tail bitten of, so I put him in my 29 Gallon fresh(the smaller system) and he doubled in size.
Everyone gets along really well. The Rainbow Shark gets a little territorial at feeding but only to the Goldfish and he just chases him a little. I'm just wondering if I'm overstocked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 200
You're a bit overstocked, yes. Definitely rehome the goldfish. Comets can quickly get to 10" +. A couple other points in your stock would concern me as well, sorry. Denison's barbs (Roselined sharks) can get to about 6" and prefer larger groups, though you can probably get by with 3. Your danios, corys, and Serpae tetras should also be in larger groups. I don't do much with live-bearers anymore, but if I remember correctly, while not schooling fish, they still prefer the company of their own kind. Unfortunately, IMO, I would probably rehome at least 3 species, as well as the goldfish. I'm sorry, I know that isn't what you wanted to hear.

I think it's overstocked in the way that you have a few too many different species in the tank. Also the fact that you have both Rams and a Goldfish in the same tank is a bit bad as their temperature requirements don't overlap at all.
Goldfish are 10c - 25c, probably prefering the lower ranges, and Rams are 27c to 30c, prefering the upper ranges.

The Rainbow Shark may begin to have aggression problems towards the bottom-dwelling fish, like the Rams.
The Serpae Tetra and Buenos Aires have a high chance to fin-nip I believe, so the Rams might get picked on by these. They are also fairly active which, along with the Zebra Danio, will stress the slow-moving fish in the tank, like the Gourami and the Rams.

To be honest, I think you are a little overstocked and should think seriously about rehoming some of the fish, also, a lot of the species you have will prefer more of their own kind, so if I were you I would rehome the majority of them, keep your favourites, and get more of them. They'll be happier that way.

I think it's overstocked in the way that you have a few too many different species in the tank. Also the fact that you have both Rams and a Goldfish in the same tank is a bit bad as their temperature requirements don't overlap at all.
Goldfish are 10c - 25c, probably prefering the lower ranges, and Rams are 27c to 30c, prefering the upper ranges.

The Rainbow Shark may begin to have aggression problems towards the bottom-dwelling fish, like the Rams.
The Serpae Tetra and Buenos Aires have a high chance to fin-nip I believe, so the Rams might get picked on by these. They are also fairly active which, along with the Zebra Danio, will stress the slow-moving fish in the tank, like the Gourami and the Rams.

To be honest, I think you are a little overstocked and should think seriously about rehoming some of the fish, also, a lot of the species you have will prefer more of their own kind, so if I were you I would rehome the majority of them, keep your favourites, and get more of them. They'll be happier that way.
Thanks. I was scared I was. When I got the 72 I was thrilled to have so much space( compared to my last system, a 29) but I guess I went overboard. I love all my fish, as I've had most for a long time. My Rainbow Shark, Platy, and Pleco and Goldfish were tiny babies when I got them, so they mean a lot to me. I was thinking of moving my Goldfish and the livebearers to another tank. Idk. I'm still figuring my stock as of now, because I want everyone to be happy and look nice. Thanks for the advice

Thanks. I was scared I was. When I got the 72 I was thrilled to have so much space( compared to my last system, a 29) but I guess I went overboard. I love all my fish, as I've had most for a long time. My Rainbow Shark, Platy, and Pleco and Goldfish were tiny babies when I got them, so they mean a lot to me. I was thinking of moving my Goldfish and the livebearers to another tank. Idk. I'm still figuring my stock as of now, because I want everyone to be happy and look nice. Thanks for the advice
It's commendable that you're trying to do the right thing.

Welcome to TFF.

I agree with others here. One thing to add, which is often not understood by new aquarists, is that the present "calm" is not necessarily indicative of long-term calm. Each species of fish has evolved over thousands of years to function best in a very specific environment. This means their own numbers, other species, as well as water parameters and aquascape and so forth. With this there are inherent behaviours, traits and requirements. We cannot change these, no matter what. But the fact that this or that individual fish is not behaving according to the "norm" should not be taken as meaning it is OK. Managing in less than ideal circumstances is certainly not the same thing as thriving with a healthy life.

As you consider removing/re-homing several of the mentioned fish (as the other members have suggested), keep this in mind. The fact that this or that fish seems to be accepting the less-than-expected situation usually means the fish is under stress which leads to other issues that could be avoided. At some point the fish is most likely to give in and die, or become aggressive and fight to reduce the stress.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back