FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

April_ht

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I currently own a 70 litre high tank with approximate dimensions of 60x30x(40 or 50?), which is around 18.5 US gallons. The tank is currently holding 9 platies without a heater, though I do have one available if need be. As Iā€™m planning on getting rid of (rehoming) 4+ of the platies due to fighting and excess males, would it be possible to stock around 6 danios keep at around 18 degrees Celsius? If so, which species would be most suitable and able to live together? Iā€™m thinking 3 zebra and 3 leopard (or some celestial pearls, are they able to school with other danios?) or would it be better to keep one species? pH is currently 7.5 though I do have stuff available to lower it (came in a test kit) and water hardness is about 105 (relatively soft). According to Aqadvisor, this would put stocking at about 88%. Advice?

Leopard and zebra danios are the same species, Brachydanio rerio (leopards are Brachydanio rerio v frankei), so a mixed group is fine. But celestial pearl danios, Celestichthys margaritatus, are not only a different species, they are in a different genus. It would be better to stick with one species as they both need a group of the same species. Celestial pearl danios really need warmer water than 18 deg C.

A 60 cm long tank is a bit on the short side for zebra/leopard danios because of their fast swimming behaviour. White clouds would be a better fit for the tank size - they come in grey and gold so you could have a group of fish which don't all look the same but are the same species.

pH is currently 7.5 though I do have stuff available to lower it (came in a test kit)

Please do not use the lowering preparations. They affect fish, and depending upon the buffering capability (this is connected to the GH and KH) can cause fluctuations up and down. The pH will settle out at "x" as the tank's biological system becomes established (over a few months) and be likely to remain at that level.

I concur with @Essjay on the stocking.

Thank you for the advice, Iā€™m about to rehome 5 of the platies so I think Iā€™ll stick with White Clouds just to be on the safe side, though Iā€™m unsure if my lfs sells them as they are uncommon around my area.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back