7 week old c. aenus corys are dying not sure why..... any advice??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

daisygirl

Reaction score
So I have 7 week old green/bronze c. aenus corys... They are in an established 20g long tank... parms are nitrates 5, nitrates 0, ammonia 0. I feed them 2-3 times a day... baby brine shrimp, sinking wafers, flakes. They seem to be thriving and everyday 1 or 2 I find dead in the morning. I know they're eating cuz I see them, most are good size and all look healthly. I do water changes 2x a week at 10%.... I'm at a loss at why this is happening. Anyone have any advice?? I have 4 other 9 week old green/bronze that I have in my 20g high that were surprises to me with other adult cories and guppies and they are big fat and healthy and nothing is happening to them... I'm just at a loss here.

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks and see if it helps.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank and get the temperature similar.

Check them for white spot or velvet. To check for velvet, shine a torch on them after the tank lights have been turned off and see if they have a gold/ yellow sheen on their body. If they do, they have velvet.

Check them for cream, white or grey patches on their body. This is an external protozoan infection.

Post a picture of them

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks and see if it helps.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank and get the temperature similar.

Check them for white spot or velvet. To check for velvet, shine a torch on them after the tank lights have been turned off and see if they have a gold/ yellow sheen on their body. If they do, they have velvet.

Check them for cream, white or grey patches on their body. This is an external protozoan infection.

Post a picture of them
okay, I will do that thank you... I do know that they have a simmer to them but its a green/bronze color shimmer, thought that was their coloring happening to show

okay, I will do that thank you... I do know that they have a simmer to them but its a green/bronze color shimmer, thought that was their coloring happening to show
Also, curious.... how would they get velvet? No other fish were introduced into the tank, only the eggs from the spawn

There could be velvet in the adult tank and it went across with the eggs and some water.

Stop feeding them brine shrimp, algae disc's and chopped blood worm. Brine shrimp contains salt.

so if I should stop feeding them brine shrimp, algae wafers and blood worms, what should I be feeding them because this has been the advice of many on what to feed them. :)

You can raise the brine shrimp using baking soda instead of salt. But as with the salt, still rinse them well before each feeding.

Once they get a couple weeks old, I like to introduce crushed bug bites pellets for them

so if I should stop feeding them brine shrimp, algae wafers and blood worms, what should I be feeding them because this has been the advice of many on what to feed them. :)
Sorry you should feed them algae discs and bloodworms just re read what I wrote sorry

The amount of salt in an eye dropper of newly hatched brineshrimp is next to nothing when diluted in a tank of water, and is even less of an issue if you are doing regular water changes on the rearing tank. I use newly hatched brineshrimp as a staple for all my fish fry and have never had an issue of them dying from salt.

Most reactions

Back