7 gallon tank, overstock?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ren.

Reaction score
I would like to set up a small, well planted aquarium with a nice filter, hiding place, and heater if needed. I have done research and have an idea on how i would stock it, but as i am a beginner, i need some confirmation or recommendations to make sure i do it right.

I was thinking 5 endlers/fancy guppies (all male), a mexican dwarf crayfish and a horned nerite snail.

Also, i would prefer keeping both endlers and fancy guppies. Can a 3:2 ratio work well? Could they all school together?
Should i change up something?
Can they thrive in such a small tank with proper care?

Thank you in advance! :)

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Fish and crayfish do not do well together, the fish stand a very good chance of becoming food especially during the night.

Endlers sound OK, having only males would avoid continual fry which is a real issue in small tanks. There might be other nano fish (nano is used for very small fish that do well in such tanks) but we would need to know the water parameters of your source water as nano fish are frequently more demanding of these things. Parameters refers to hardness (GH), pH, carbonate hardness or Alkalinity (KH) and temperature. The latter you can obviously control, but knowing the GH, KH and pH of the tap water is advisable. Having water suited to the fish, or fish suited to your water, makes life along the way very much safer and simpler.

Knowing the dimensions of the aquarium is also helpful, as the length especially can be more important for some fish depending upon their activity level.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Fish and crayfish do not do well together, the fish stand a very good chance of becoming food especially during the night.

Endlers sound OK, having only males would avoid continual fry which is a real issue in small tanks. There might be other nano fish (nano is used for very small fish that do well in such tanks) but we would need to know the water parameters of your source water as nano fish are frequently more demanding of these things. Parameters refers to hardness (GH), pH, carbonate hardness or Alkalinity (KH) and temperature. The latter you can obviously control, but knowing the GH, KH and pH of the tap water is advisable. Having water suited to the fish, or fish suited to your water, makes life along the way very much safer and simpler.

Knowing the dimensions of the aquarium is also helpful, as the length especially can be more important for some fish depending upon their activity level.
Thank you, and thank you for the answer!:)

I checked the average parameters in my area
GH 17dh
Kh 7ppm
pH 7.5
As i know they are fine for endlers, i think i will stick with them.

The aquarium im planning on purchasing is 40(length)×25×25cm, i think there will be enough space for the endlers to be active, but im okay with choosing one with different proportions, i just cant go much bigger in size (also this one is a great deal:D), my max is 10 gallon.

Do you think i could do anything instead of the crayfish, a dwarf catfish maybe? Would that be too much?

GH 17dh
Kh 7ppm
pH 7.5

The aquarium im planning on purchasing is 40(length)×25×25cm, i think there will be enough space for the endlers to be active, but im okay with choosing one with different proportions, i just cant go much bigger in size (also this one is a great deal:D), my max is 10 gallon.

Do you think i could do anything instead of the crayfish, a dwarf catfish maybe? Would that be too much?

Endlers will be fine here, so that's resolved.

Catfish covers a large group of quite different fish. Some are shoaling which means they must have a group, most of these need a sand substrate, and some may find the GH on the high side. In the same general group there are individual fish like a pleco. Some get way too large, but some are in the 3-4 inch max range. The GH is on thee hard side for these too, but there are some that could work. I'll leave that for members with more direct experience.

GH 17dh
Kh 7ppm
pH 7.5

Shrimp or snails are the only bottom dwellers that would be fine in a 7 gallon

Endlers will be fine here, so that's resolved.

Catfish covers a large group of quite different fish. Some are shoaling which means they must have a group, most of these need a sand substrate, and some may find the GH on the high side. In the same general group there are individual fish like a pleco. Some get way too large, but some are in the 3-4 inch max range. The GH is on thee hard side for these too, but there are some that could work. I'll leave that for members with more direct experience.
Thank you!
I think i will stick with one species only for now if that's the safe option.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back