7 gallon Neon Planted Cylinder

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thank you very much. Floaters they are. Float here, float there, float everywhere! The tall shape lends itself to a distinct top, middle and bottom and it is interesting to see how my fish utilize it depending upon the time of day or their moods, etc. It's fascinating to watch them interact.

My early efforts to fatten up the skinny ones has finally paid off. Turns out they were mostly males, but still too skinny. I used a 24" Coral feeder to feed them when they would hide in the bottom. Each feeding (5x week) I coaxed them higher and higher and now they all eat together at the surface.

Being that I am constantly trimming and replanting my tank, with giant 24" hemostats, my fish have become accustomed to the intrusions. Same for the gravel vac. I suppose I'm pleased they seem to enjoy the action rather than act timid.

I just added three bunches of Jungle Val to fill out the background. Seller sent me 30" tall plants! I had to trim them because the Salvinia hogs the limited surface area already, but talk about instant background.

Oh speaking of limited surface area, I found everyone gulping air a few days ago. I about panicked. What have I done? What had I changed? My filter outlet! I angled it down to try a different flow pattern, and barely noted in my mind, that the surface agitation seemed less. A quick water change relieved their stress and I have the surface properly agitated again. Phew, lessons learned. Surface agitation is necessary for good O2/CO2 exchange especially when the surface is so small and my plants don't make enough O2 to support my fish population.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and criticism!
Have just read right through and seen that you ARE having problems with aeration - hope you get it sorted out. You've done an excellent job of the set up though -really attractive and well thought out and put together.

could we see pictures of the tank with the vals?? Id love to see it!
You bet!

20220501_194357.jpg

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Sweet looking tank, you did a good job on the cabinet. :)
Thanks! It was a really big project way more work than anticipated. Especially that zig-zag drawer!
Have just read right through and seen that you ARE having problems with aeration - hope you get it sorted out. You've done an excellent job of the set up though -really attractive and well thought out and put together.
Sorted. It was just due to little/no surface agitation, a day after I made some changes. It's been a learning process for sure from the design to setup of both my tank and my cabinetry.

Here's a top pic.
20220501_194446.jpg

Very sharp looking and nice organization.

You bet!

View attachment 158881

Thanks! It was a really big project way more work than anticipated. Especially that zig-zag drawer!

Sorted. It was just due to little/no surface agitation, a day after I made some changes. It's been a learning process for sure from the design to setup of both my tank and my cabinetry.

Here's a top pic.
View attachment 158882
I would try to fashion something to get that light of the rim of the tank. Not much space between the water and the electronics would make me beyond nervous. I hope it’s waterproof at the very least. Between splashing and condensation it’s bound to get some water on it where it is.

I really do like your tank tho. Looks great.

All I have to say is congrats on everything. The fish and plants seem to be thriving, although I assume the cory could use some more company. Then again it is such a small surface, perhaps one more would be enough? Don't know, but visually and in water params you obviously know your stuff, and the whole build just looks great, congrats! I want to have the time and resources to do that in the next couple of years (plan tanks with such attention to detail and have whole sketches of even the furniture and placement). Very nice!

All I have to say is congrats on everything. The fish and plants seem to be thriving, although I assume the cory could use some more company. Then again it is such a small surface, perhaps one more would be enough? Don't know, but visually and in water params you obviously know your stuff, and the whole build just looks great, congrats! I want to have the time and resources to do that in the next couple of years (plan tanks with such attention to detail and have whole sketches of even the furniture and placement). Very nice!
Yes - Corys like company. I wouldn't have fewer than three - 6-7 is much better, but there's no way this set-up would accommodate them

Very kind words thanks! It really has been a labor of love.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back