6X2X2 180G Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have a new tank on order, due to be delivered 28th May, but may be earlier. It's another ND Aquatics tank as I was so impressed with them for my current tank.

I have gone for a black background again as it really helps the fish's colours pop out and makes them feel secure.

I am starting the journal today as my wood arrived. Thought it was as good a time as any, plus I am bored :lol:

Equipment

2 x Fluval FX5's
1 x NeWave powerhead 4600 l p/h (maybe getting a Koralia instead)
2 x Fluval E300w heaters

Substrate and Decoration

Black granite gravel (was undecided about swapping to sand, but think the gravel will help secure the wood)
3 x Redmoor wood pieces
Various rocks and stones
Various silk plants

Stocking

1 x Red Tiger Oscar
1 x Red Spot Severum
4 x Rotkeil Severums (will probably have to rehome 2 of the males at some point, as doubt 3 males will get on into adulthood)
1 x Vieja Synspila
1 x Nicaraguan
1 x Jack Dempsey
1 x Firemouth (will be rehomed unless undergoes a dramatic character change in new tank)
3 x Geophagus 'Red Head' Tapajos
1 x Ornate Bichir
1 x Armoured Bichir
1 x Bristlenose Pleco

+ Potentially a school of 7 Lacustris Rainbowfish, once they get big enough.

So, as I said, my wood arrived today, after being delayed due to Easter weekend. It's lovely stuff, and has arrived in plenty of time to be soaked ready for the tank to come. I have been playing with the possible layout in the tank, and taken some photos. Think I will go for the first layout, as it gives some good swimming routes.

Layout One

5657636639_439765c8c6.jpg

5658214312_12e8999f54.jpg

5657646101_9695792b78.jpg

5657650655_884f9b4896.jpg

Layout Two

5658235128_2946bbef78.jpg

5657666363_439bb30080.jpg

The wood measures a length of just over 3ft, and will go in the middle. Then I am going to have rocks/stones etc at the ends to create caves.

Will probably start soaking it in our big water vat over the weekend as it will take a long time to sink.

hi chilli the redmoor looks great where did you get it from im after some myself as im just waiting for my nd tank to arrive on may 17th

Looking forward to how this pans out. Quite disappointed we have to wait for progress as I;m sure you are! :good:

Layout 1 looks awesome, loving the wood, where did ya get it from?

Here's another layout we tried:

5660778168_6aaa7f78fc.jpg

5660780136_5be812b164.jpg

I would tell you where I got the wood, but would probably get in trouble for it, sorry :rolleyes:

thats some nice wood,i would also love to know where to get my hands on some, i dont think its fair you keeping it a secret from us your fishy cyber friends!!!!

Honestly it's easy enough to find some on Google. This forum are sensitive with linking to other websites, so I'd rather not get in trouble for it :lol:

Definately like the 3rd layout Chilli, defo the best IMO.

I like how you state the firemouth has to have the change of character if he is to stay. Mine is exactly the same also, out of my cichlids he's the smallest and definately the nastiest. He's not top, but boy does he try!

Can't wait for further updates. Can't beat ND Aquatics aye, i shall most certainly be using them as first contact whenever i need a new tank after having my latest one from them!

Glad to see you still posting too :)

Stocking

1 x Red Tiger Oscar
1 x Red Spot Severum
4 x Rotkeil Severums (will probably have to rehome 2 of the males at some point, as doubt 3 males will get on into adulthood)
1 x Vieja Synspila
1 x Nicaraguan
1 x Jack Dempsey
1 x Firemouth (will be rehomed unless undergoes a dramatic character change in new tank)
3 x Geophagus 'Red Head' Tapajos
1 x Ornate Bichir
1 x Armoured Bichir
1 x Bristlenose Pleco

+ Potentially a school of 7 Lacustris Rainbowfish, once they get big enough.

That sounds a lot for a 180G. It's the bigger ones that I'd cut down on a bit. The oscar, sevs, JD and syn. Personally, in total, I'd go for no more than 4 (at a push, 5) of those in that tank.

Also, I'm no expert in those particular geos, but if behaviour is simialr to the others in the surinamensis complex then 3 is not a great number. Possibly go for at least 5 to stop smaller/weaker members of the shoal getting too bullied ?

Looking forward to following your journal though ! I'm sure it will be a gorgeous tank once you're finished with it !

Definately like the 3rd layout Chilli, defo the best IMO.

I like how you state the firemouth has to have the change of character if he is to stay. Mine is exactly the same also, out of my cichlids he's the smallest and definately the nastiest. He's not top, but boy does he try!

Can't wait for further updates. Can't beat ND Aquatics aye, i shall most certainly be using them as first contact whenever i need a new tank after having my latest one from them!

Glad to see you still posting too :)

Yeah the FM is a bit like our old Convict really, a stocky little shyte with an attitude problem :lol: He never tries it with the big guys, rather the Nic, JD and Geos. They all love arguing though. I know it sounds odd, but they do seem to genuinely like it! But we are getting fed up with it, so someone or several will be leaving unless they buck their ideas up. Probably the FM and Nic - though it would be a huge shame for her to go as she is beautiful, but such a cowbag. The Jack is really chilled out, and tends to mind her own if she's allowed.

That sounds a lot for a 180G. It's the bigger ones that I'd cut down on a bit. The oscar, sevs, JD and syn. Personally, in total, I'd go for no more than 4 (at a push, 5) of those in that tank.

Also, I'm no expert in those particular geos, but if behaviour is simialr to the others in the surinamensis complex then 3 is not a great number. Possibly go for at least 5 to stop smaller/weaker members of the shoal getting too bullied ?

Looking forward to following your journal though ! I'm sure it will be a gorgeous tank once you're finished with it !

As I said the Sevs will be thinned down, as I can't see 3 males getting on long term, and they squabble a bit already.

The Geos - got to see how they get on. Currently got two in my 168g, and a smaller one in my 50g. Going to try them all together in the 180g. If they don't get on, will probs just keep the most colourful/largest one. He's fine on his own as we removed the other one briefly before when he had HITH (bought him with it). They are not like the Suri's and I don't think they get as big either. It is almost impossible to get any of these Geos around here as well, so upping the numbers could prove a problem.

I prefer to push the stocking of my tanks a bit anyway, and overfilter. An empty tank is very boring, and the fish prefer a busier environment I have found :good:

Started soaking the wood today. Looks lovely when wet, really nice orangey red. Though I do wish I could use it for a planted tank :lol: No chance with my big guys though.

Can't wait for this tank to arrive so I can start playing with it :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back